[Pi 2662] Win7 drivers

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

Bob1980
Product(s): Scaleo P

[Pi 2662] Win7 drivers

Postby Bob1980 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:42

I have a "SCALEO PI 2662 /BU SCALEO PI 2662-007/".

This is a long shot, but I simply cannot work with vista, it keeps giving me errors and is in general too unreliable to work with.
So I bought windows 7, but my knowledge about drivers is too limited to know which ones I need to use. The website only offers drivers for vista, so if any kindhearted, smart person is willing to help me out here, you have my sincere gratitude.

Thank you in advance if anyone is able to help me out here.
Really.

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: [Pi 2662] Win7 drivers

Postby me@work » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:34

Which drivers in particular are you missing?

My PI2662 did not require ANY additional drivers for operation of Win7 than those that Win7 and Windowsupdate already offered...

And may I add here that device manager does not list any problem devices other than empty card reader slots.

Bob1980

Postby Bob1980 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:41

Well problem is, this is my only work pc that has access to the internet, so if something goes wrong, well..
So in advance I'd like to find all the necessary drivers that will have the highest % of running correctly on the system.

And I think you're talking about windows vista with device manager problems, and well, when I started using it, my second hard drive just disappeared, with no provocation except me opening explorer. Internet went on and off at irregular times, again for no reason at all and several other problems, with no cause, since it was a fresh install and all I did was surf safe websites to test it out with addblock, noscript, antivirus and firewall.

So yeah, really lost faith in vista to be honest.

Is also my first time working with windows 7, so did not know that windows now provides drivers for all my equipment. But I'd still rather have everything in hand, just in case. I am overcautious, yes, but after all that's happened with vista, I just can't afford not to be.
It's the only pc I have :)

Thank you immensely for your reply though. It's good to see someone is still hanging around here.

me@work

Postby me@work » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:49

Sorry, but I'm afraid to have some things straight here:

I did not promise that Win7 provides drivers for all YOUR hardware. I just stated that I did not require additional drivers for MY Pi2662. That's why I asked which drivers you were looking for.

And if you're planning for a new installation, and are as overcautious as you describe yourself, you might want to acommodate yourself with one of the bootable CD solutions (even if they are Linux-based) that exist all over this world. Should anything go wrong during the actual installation, you just slide in this boot-CD, download the required driver (or search for valuable hints on solving the issue), boot again into installation process and rectify the problem...

Please note that I wasn't talking about Vista device manager problems; I ran my Pi2662 in Win7 when I wrote the reply, and checked my statement. Win7 still has a device manager...

When your internet connection was going on and off, were you connected through Wi-Fi (WLAN), or did you have a wire connected to the RJ-45 connector on the back of your Pi2662? Until everything is set up satisfactorily, I personally would keep a CAT-5 cable rigth at hand, and perform the tests next to my router box. Here as well the aforementioned bootable CD could give valuable hints on problem causes, too.

And finally, as you mentioned a second disk, why not perform the Win7 installation on another one, keeping the existing installation in a safe place (or at least on a disconnected cable)?

me@work

Postby me@work » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:59

Oh, and I possibly forgot the most important hint:

I installed my Win7 as test version in a VHD, keeping my existing Vista...

Bob1980

Postby Bob1980 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 13:33

I sincerely appreciate the answer, but I think you might be overestimating my computer capabilities :)
I've never worked with Linux before in my life and have no clue how to even do a duel computer.
I just know a tiny bit about formatting, hence why I come here for the drivers to be on the safe side.
Basically the same links I'd get if there were a Win7 option in the driver download window of the website itself.

Sorry for my ignorance.

me@work

Postby me@work » Mon Jul 11, 2011 15:01

Please excuse, as there was no offence intended :D

As I wrote, because you mentioned having lost a second disk in a previous attempt, I suspected you to be able to add or remove a disk. Hence the proposal to just install a blank disk instead of the current pieces, and give Microsoft's installation medium a try. I still think that, if you're wired to the internet with the internal network card, and don't use Wi-Fi, the simple installation of Win7 will finish flawlessly on your Pi2662.

Because it seems that these old boxes do not get tested for Win7 anymore, there's no automatic update option available on Fujitsu's website (like desk update), so, if you really wish to use Win7 instead of the existing Vista, you'll probably have to dig yourself into some of the more basic procedures...

BTW, and this is just my personal opinion: Although there's such a big hype around Win7, and Vista only received bad critics in the past, I still don't see so much of an improvement for the "normal user" when I compare these two.

Return to “SCALEO”