Graphics & TV Card upgrades

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

johny media
Product(s): Scaleo E

Graphics & TV Card upgrades

Postby johny media » Thu Dec 10, 2009 21:53

I am thinking of putting a dual tuner tv card in place of the kworld one that Maplin supplied, and also putting in something like an 8400gs (512mb) graphics card in place of the riser graphics card fitted in the pci-e slot. I am also interested in gaining full functionality of the scaleo as far as front a/v sockets and rear scart sockets are concerned. My current understanding is that the scart out works, because it fits to a connector on the existing graphics card riser, and that neither scart in nor a/v in are connected to anything (although not quite sure about the scart in).
What I am wondering is this - are there any particular tv cards that will have places to plug in the scart and a/v in's? (or graphics cards perhaps) or even a graphics card that will at least do scart out? I assume the tv card will have to be hybrid if it is to have a capture facility?
Failing that, I am quite happy to buy a seperate capture card and fit to a spare pci slot, in order to get the scart/av/ ins and outs all functioning.
Basically, I'd like everything to work in one massive upgrade :)

kid-jensen
Product(s): scaleo e

Re: Graphics & TV Card upgrades

Postby kid-jensen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:32

Not suere about the graphics card, I'm going to look into that if I have to...

For the Freeview card, I can recommend the Dual Peak one. They are available on ebay new, foe just over 20 quid, BUT on one MCE install of my machine, it wouldn't tune into any channels, on another install, everything worked fine.

Go figure.

According to Peak, there's a problem in XP MCE that Microsoft are unlikely to sort out, so you takes your choice.

My attitude is that you can easily get 15 quid or so selling one on if it doesn't work , so you don't lose much.

It's a fine product if it works for you....

johny media

Postby johny media » Fri Mar 05, 2010 20:44

thanks - I went for a Nova t 500 card in the end though and no problems with it at all, records two shows at once with no hiccups (have yet to try two recordings while watching back something already recorded - dunno if the scaleo will cope). Graphics card I'm a bit hacked off with as I tried an 8400gs and it works great except no sound. I hooked up dvi from the card to HDMI/DVI input 1 on the tv (37" lg) and used two phonos to 3.5mm jack in to the tv, but as soon as the video is connected the tv switches to looking for the sound on the hdmi input - apparently this is a thing with the 8400gs cards and there is a patch for it if you run /vista which I dont, so am looking into going the 4350 rout next. Surprised no one on here has had the same problem.

johny media

Postby johny media » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:27

And to continue from my last post, I thought I would add that I have now installed an Asus 4350 256mb card, which came with the low profile bracket too. As with all these cards they take up the space of not only the pcie slot but allso the pci slot next to that due to the depth of the heatsink, so might as well have the double width bracket which includes the 15 pin computer monitor out. This card worked more or less straight away (just had to change my audio settings to hdmi out, and muck around manually setting the screen size to fill the screen, in the ati menuu, but no real hassle - there was a box to tick so that the media centre settings went full screen too).
After several weeks contacting sparkle (for my 8400gs card) and tons of messing around trying to get the audio to work (tried connecting spdif to the card, tried edid editing to turn off hdmi audio) I can definitely recomend the 4350 - it plays games ok (but prolly not for serious gamers) and seems to work properly. I used the drivers from the cd in the box. Curiously on the box front it says "Not support full HD 1080p/1080i" so we will see what transpires if and when I move into the world of high def...

IXL
3 Gig RAM - DDR 400 - 184 PIN - CL3
Product - P4M-915GD1-LF
OS - MS W7 32Bit Pro.

Postby IXL » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10

Has anyone any ideas on a HD TV Card ?

Return to “SCALEO”