Insane Keyboard Problem

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

OUTATIME
Product(s): Scaleo E

Insane Keyboard Problem

Postby OUTATIME » Tue Jun 16, 2009 17:17

Since I bought my Scaleo E I have been having problems with the wireless keyboard (or, more specifically, the rollerball).

It would work okay for a little while (usually) but then the rollerball would become unresponsive, specifically it wouldn't move the pointer to the left.

I assumed it was a rollerball contact issue, so I took out the ball, cleaned it and the internal rollers, but to no avail. I still had the same problem. If I change the batteries etc. it will sometimes work for a while, but it always shortly reverts back to the same type of frustrating behaviour.

Now, here's where it gets insane; I got hold of a second keyboard, the exact same Fujitsu S. keyboard from the exact same model Scaleo E unit, bought by a friend at the same time. I tried it and guess what... I have exactly the same problem!

It can't be a physical issue with the keyboard, obviously, since I've tried two different keyboards which gave the same result, so I can only assume it's the PC itself that is at fault; possibly a driver or receiver issue?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nate.

Homey

Re: Insane Keyboard Problem

Postby Homey » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:54

Yup,
I can confirm this. I thought it was crap in the ball / rollers but it's not. The damn thing's just really unresponsive when moving to the left and it drives me crazy. Sounds like a generic problem or a bad batch :(.

Sorry I can't suggest a solution but anyone has one, I'd love to know about it...
:x

rsbrux
Product(s): SCALEO E /P4 524/BB SCALEO E
3072 MB RAM, 1500 GB HD
Club ATI Radeon 3450

Postby rsbrux » Wed Aug 26, 2009 21:58

I have a similar problem, but it has more trouble moving right than moving left. Until reading these posts, I thought it might be due to RF interference in the 2.4 GHz band. At one point, the keyboard stopped responding completely, and the only way I got it to work again was to restore an old backup image which I made after FSC's service had replaced my motherboard and reinstalled the system. This makes me suspect a SW problem, but I have no idea what kind!
Has anyone ever gotten the "connect" buttons on the Scaleo E and its keyboard to do anything? I never have seen any effect. On other RF keyboards, pressing these in the prescribed sequence usually reinititalizes the RF link, which can eliminate flakiness, especially if due to interference.

P.S. After restoring an old image, from a time when the trackball was working, the symptoms are still the same. In fact, there are now sometimes problems moving the cursor to the left, although movement to the right is still worse.
2 more questions:
1. To those of you who cleaned the trackball, how did you get the bezel ring off? My attempts have been unsuccessful. I have tried turning it in both directions, but it feels like it's glued on. Is a special tool or technique necessary/recommended?
2. Has anyone found a source for a replacement? When the trackball was working, I found the keyboard quite ergonomic, and I like the compact dimensions. It appears similar to http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkte/eingabegeraete/hd_wireless_keyboard/index_en.html. Has anyone tried to use this with Scaleo E's built-in RF interface? My USB connections are already all in use.

P.P.S. The original keyboard now works like new!
Here's what I did:
1. I removed the trackball cover by using a pair of tweezers to twist it 1/8 turn counter-clockwise.
2. I washed the trackball using liquid dishwashing detergent and dried it off.
3. I used a miniature vacuum cleaner intended for cleaning keyboards to remove the "flunge" from around the 3 small white plastic balls and the 2 rubber wheels which contact the trackball when it is in place.
4. I used Q-tips moistened in 94% isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface deposits from the rubber wheels. This was a tedious process. It took several minutes of stroking the wheels diagonally in order to slowly advance them and clean all 360 degrees of their surfaces. Be careful to use at least 90% alcohol. Lower concentrations may leave behind water deposits, which can eventually lead to corrosion.
5. After letting the trackball cage dry out, I replaced the trackball and its cover, using the tweezers again to lock the cover in place by rotating it 1/8 turn clockwise.
It's working very well now, I'm glad I didn't give up on it!
:mrgreen:
SCALEO E /P4 524/BB SCALEO E
3072 MB RAM, 1500 GB HD
Club ATI Radeon 3450

SteveGoodey

Postby SteveGoodey » Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:56

Thanks for the above, sorted my trackball as well. I used the blunt end of two 1mm drill bits to unlock the bezel. When twisting the bezel back I found that spitting on the lugs on the bezel helped to lubricate it back into place.

Steve.

rsbrux
3072 MB RAM, 1500 GB HD
Club ATI Radeon 3450

Postby rsbrux » Wed Oct 21, 2009 18:31

Hi Steve,
Glad it helped!

Anyone,
After 2 months of perfect performance, my RF keyboard suddenly stopped working today. It was working fine this morning, but this afternoon, nothing!
The batteries test OK.
Pressing the "connect" buttons in the sequence indicated (first on Scaleo E, then on keyboard) doesn't seem to do anything.
Rebooting doesn't help either.
Who has encountered a similar problem and/or has an idea what the cause might be?
TIA for any tips!
3072 MB RAM, 1500 GB HD
Club ATI Radeon 3450

rsbrux
3072 MB RAM, 1500 GB HD
Club ATI Radeon 3450

Postby rsbrux » Tue Jul 12, 2011 21:27

The problem seems to have been a faulty connection to the RF transceiver card behind the front panel. After disassembling the front panel, disconnecting the RF interface, reconnecting it and reassembling the front panel, the keyboard is working again.
3072 MB RAM, 1500 GB HD
Club ATI Radeon 3450

Return to “SCALEO”