h4hollis
Product(s): Scaleo E

Re: Installation Help

Postby h4hollis » Mon Mar 09, 2009 13:17

en4rab

Postby en4rab » Tue Mar 10, 2009 13:15

For those of you having problems with installing large HDD's with the drive not showing up in windows partitioning setup page here is something to try.
And this seems somewhat counter intuitive:
Assuming the hdd you wish to install to is blank, go into the bios menus and find the option for first boot device, i think its in Advanced bios features, by default firstboot device is set to CDROM, change this to disabled save and reboot with a windows install cd in the cdrom.
The computer should then try to boot from the HDD and fail as it has no OS to boot, then it will boot from the CDROM anyway.
However it seems it boots properly by this method as there is no delay in the bootloader starting and seems to detect the HDD just fine.

If you already have a bootable HDD this wont work as it will boot from the HDD, but it seems you can disable the second boot device as well (normally HDD) to force the bios to fall through to the CDROM boot, just rember to enable HDD boot again after windows has copied the setup files across and rebooted.

Hopefully that should make installng these a little easier.
Obviously your mileage may vary but this is working for me.

more-solutions
Product(s): TX150S6

Postby more-solutions » Tue Mar 10, 2009 19:33

mjs2209 wrote:Then start up machine with SATA cable REMOVED from hard drive. Once the "Boot from CD" screen disappears and you hear the CD/DVD Drive spin up insert the SATA cable to the hard drive. Everything works fine from then on.

Genius! How did you discover that one? Surely not trial & error?

You can tell it's working better straight away when the CD boot process doesn't drag its heels any more.

en4rab

Postby en4rab » Tue Mar 10, 2009 20:19

*sigh* I just double checked and what i posted above wont work if you already have an OS installed, it will just boot the HDD even if you disable the HDD as second boot device.
On the upside if i set the first boot device to CDROM and boot a linux disk to allow me to delete the partition on the HDD, then reboot, change the first boot device to disabled save and reboot with an XP install CD in the drive I can reliably install.
One thing to pay close attention to in the xp partitioning screen is what drive letter it assigns to the partition you create, for me the first time i create a partition it assigns it to H:, which is bad, deleting it and making it again seems to give it the correct letter C:

This isnt so bad if you have a brand new drive, but is a bit of a pain if you want to reinstall.

malcbay
Product(s): Scaleo E Media Centre

Postby malcbay » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14

Guys,

I have been running my Maplin bought Scaleo E for a week now.

The unit works very well and I think I have tested all features and function by now.

One interesting issue however - I have my TV connected via DVI <> HDMI cable. If I turn my TV into standby the Scaleo appears to exit Media Centre and return to windows or possibly crash!
So if I set it to record TV, all works well. But if I turn the TV off, it 'shuts down' a few seconds later!

Any bright ideas?

Thanks - Malcolm

albol
Product(s): Scaleo Media Centre

Postby albol » Thu Mar 12, 2009 19:25

Like many, I saw the 250Gb limit on the Maplin website and decided to ignore it and bought a 500Gb Samsung. Sure enough, it didn't work!
Then, on the advice of this forum, I obtained a Western Digital 250Gb. This was also not detected by Vista Install!!
I then found a utility on the WD website which I downloaded and burned onto a CD (bring back the floppy!!!). On booting from it, it came up with a message along the lines of "This drive is not initialised". I followed it's instructions and, hey presto!!!! Vista then recognised it.

After enabling the Wi-fi card and downloading Vista updates, the Wi-fi card then refused to work, saying "Insufficient resources, please uninstall other resources. (not very helpful). I found a Belkin wi-fi card, installed that and it's now working.

Now I'm having difficulty with the SCART out, which doesn't appear to work. I can get an output from the S-Video but it's not good quality and not very convenient. Don't suggest I shouldn't be using SCART, I have an old telly and cannot afford a fancy DVI/HDMI inputted one just yet.

Also, is it possible to enable the SCART in? There are leads floating about in the case but they will not connect to the DVB card. This card does have in I/P connector similar to S-Video which is obviously for a breakout lead. Should this have come with the Scaleo? If not, any ideas where I can obtain one?

This whole thing is obviously going to be a long struggle . . . . .

manxian

Postby manxian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 21:06

First - thanks to all of you. Without you I would not have had a chance of successfully installing Windows Vista on my new Maplin supplied Scaleo E.
In case it helps anyone, I too went through the painful process of trying the Hitach 320Gb drive: *not detected* then having Maplin swap it for a 250Gb drive, also Hitachi: *not detected*!
Having read this forum I then asked for a WDD or Seagate drive - all they had was a Maxtor Diamond22 500Gb drive. I decided to try it because it has a jumper which allows you to set the SATA rate to "limit 1.5Gb/s" or 3Gb/s". Because of the previous problems I set it to 1.5Gb/s. I booted from the Windows Vista CD as normal. The Maxtor drive was detected and Windows Vista Home Premium installed without a problem. So I now have a 500Gb drive operating properly!
One thing that worried me is that at no stage was I asked to partition or format the drive - so I'm hoping that the Maxtor drive was pre-partitioned and pre-formatted. Either way it seems to be working.
FYI I had another interesting problem with the IR and remote after that - which I have now fixed. I'll check whether there is another thread and if so post there.
Thanks again to you all.

IXL
3 Gig RAM - DDR 400 - 184 PIN - CL3
Product - P4M-915GD1-LF
OS - MS W7 32Bit Pro.

Postby IXL » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:52

Hi,

I got the same kit from Maplin about 2 weeks ago.

I had some problems getting the drivers ( as there were really none with it so to speak ). BUT there is a thread on another forum with someone posting their Serial Number so you can get the drivers. ( which Ive done ) However saying that, The driver files dont include any exe of any sort, so there a bit of a pain if you need them. Luckily for me, all mine bar one, I have managed to get by windows recognising the device itself or manually downloading the Audio realtec driver.

The only thing I cannot work out is I have just one item left in my device hardware that is marked as "unknown". I have no idea what that is... Ive got the audio, firewire, usb, wireless, scarts and tv card all working... not sure what else it might be. Can anyone help me on that one?

With regard to your harddrive issue, I installed a spare SATA 80 Gig ( its either a seagate or samsung, cant remember atm without looking) and that ran with no problems at all, no problems during the install, never asked for drivers which is a first for me... usually you have to install via a floppy. I was quite amazed by that... Could it be that your installing SATA II drives ? Try disabling the jumper on the drive ( if there is one ) to standard SATA 1.

This does worry me a little, as I do intend to upgrade the drive later to a larger one at some point, but as my media is on NAS, im not too worried atm.
Last edited by IXL on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

en4rab

Postby en4rab » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:00

Albol,
I was looking at sorting out recording from the av input sockets too, I think I have found a way to sort it out.
In my case I decided to replace the included hybrid DVB-t card with this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=3761
Which appears to have the correct connectors for an aux composite input to connect to the stray wires in the case.
Im currently waiting for it to be delivered so I cant test it yet, but if it works i will get another and run with a twin dvb-t setup and hopefully be able to record from the scart and front input connectors too.

As to your problem with the scart connector, have you fitted the ADD2 card in the pci express slot and connected the black cable to the black (lower) set of pins on the add2 card, and are you using the scart out socket nearest to the pci slots, the scart furthest from the pci slots is scart in only afaik.

en4rab

Postby en4rab » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:09

IXL your unknown device is the "Away Mode" device there is a description about this on microsofts site here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902437

If you are running XP media center 2005 and have update rollup2 installed finding and running the installer:
AwayMode-KB902437-ENU.exe

Should install the driver and allow the machine to (well basically turn off the video) rather than shutdown.

IXL
3 Gig RAM - DDR 400 - 184 PIN - CL3
Product - P4M-915GD1-LF
OS - MS W7 32Bit Pro.

Postby IXL » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:33

en4rab wrote:IXL your unknown device is the "Away Mode" device there is a description about this on microsofts site here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902437

If you are running XP media center 2005 and have update rollup2 installed finding and running the installer:
AwayMode-KB902437-ENU.exe

Should install the driver and allow the machine to (well basically turn off the video) rather than shutdown.

Your a Superstar.... I am running exactly that, with the rollup 2 installed. I will look up that AwayMode-KB902437-ENU.exe you mentioned... I assume I have to download it from microsoft...?

I did have some problems getting that rollup 2 patch to install tho a few weeks ago, but got there in the end. It kept barking about SP2, sql, then saying I didnt have media centre... ( so be aware everyone, I had to reset the system details via a utility named somewhere on this forum).

Anyway, Thanks.

So I assume, if this is installed, if I then put the pc in sleep/hibination mode or whatever, it will still launch and record pending items that I want to record from live tv?

At the moment, if I press the power button on my MCE ( microsoft ) remote it puts the pc in hibernation/sleep mode.

Also, just out of interest, I also used my own card which happens to be exactly the same one you have... ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... egory=3761 ) Its a very good card, but cant get the software to intall in windows, but im not overly worried, as the device works in MCE. It says something about SQL or mysql....?

en4rab

Postby en4rab » Fri Mar 13, 2009 13:59

For some unbelievably stupid reason the awaymode driver isnt available from microsoft,
its supposed to be pre installed by your hardware manufacturer.
But i heard a rumour it might be found here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KM0CJZV9

Obviously you should scan for malware etc etc

albol
Product(s): Scaleo Media Centre

Postby albol » Fri Mar 13, 2009 22:39

en4rab, :?
I notice the card you have ordered does not include a remote. I'd be interested to know if the supplied one works with it.
I had connected the SCART out to the PCI-e card. I'll look into this further this weekend.

s_mario
Product(s): AMC 370
AMC 530
Scaleo E P4 670 2GB 500GB HD2600Pro

Postby s_mario » Fri Mar 13, 2009 22:57

You can also use this TV-Card, it's better than Pinnacle 310i.

Creatix CTX946 with Hardware-Encoder

http://www.creatix.de/produkte/multimedia/ctx946.htm
http://www.creatix.de/produkte/multimed ... 0MPEG2.pdf

en4rab

Postby en4rab » Sat Mar 14, 2009 13:56

albol the Media center remote included with the maplin barebones system will work fine with any tuner card as long as you are planning on using the windows media center software and the card you install has BDA drivers, just like the card that is already installed (that too has a custom connector for its own IR remote that isnt used).
You would only need the cards specific remote to make it work with the software that comes with the card, which is usually rubbish.

Return to “SCALEO”