[Xi 2530] Vista BSOD, BIOS question

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

Mikan
Product(s): SCALEO X

[Xi 2530] Vista BSOD, BIOS question

Postby Mikan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 14:21

I have SCALEO XI 2530, and I frequently (once a week on average) get BSOD saying "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval". Running Memtest86+ for many hours did not show any errors. I use pre-installed Vista Home Premium x86.

Seeking for a solution, I've updated to the latest BIOS version, but there's no changelog provided. How do I know which issues have been addressed in the latest BIOS release? The file name was FSC_Biosupdate_for_MSI_MS_7350VP_V1_0G_ISO_Image_1_0G__1020611.

Dave O

Re: [Xi] Vista BSOD, BIOS question

Postby Dave O » Sat Mar 29, 2008 22:11

I'm way out of my depth on this one, normaly I would not respond as I would not want to waste your time. Before I googled I thought this sounds like a CPU issue.

On another forum I read a response to the same problem:-

There's a good chance one of the cores is falling out of sync and therefore produces that BSOD. It's a direct effect of overclocking and if it isn't overclocked, one of the core's is most likely going defective.

If the above response is correct you could have a serious problem, so as soon as possible contact F/S and see what they think. If you are overclocking then reset the machine to standard settings. Maybe the Bios update had the same afect as Overclocking. I don't know, but I know enough that it would be best to ring F/S!

Other sites also pointed towards CPU or MOBO failling, it wasn't just one.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
I keep saying it, I'M NO EXPERT!

Amilo D1845
Dell Inspiron 1720
Asus Comando : E6600 : Nvidia 8800 GTS : HDD 1Tb

Mikan

Postby Mikan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 17:31

Thanks for your reply. I used to think it was a Vista-related issue, and was hoping it would be fixed in SP1. But searching the net, I've also come to the conclusion that the issue is most likely due to faulty CPU or mainboard. I certainly did not overclock anything. I also get BSODs with IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL error when using Fujutsu-Siemens WLAN adapter which came with the PC (under load it almost always results in a blue screen), and I suppose it can be somehow related. Recently I got this BSOD pointing to the audio driver. So probably it's the mainboard, after all.

I will try asking FSC Help Desk for a possible solution. But if I'm asked to bring the PC for repairs, would it be OK for me to remove the hard drives?

And I would still like to know if there're changelogs for BIOS updates provided by FSC. There's an opinion that BIOS should only be updated if there's a problem the new version resolves, and it's difficult to tell without a changelog. Or is it generally advised to always update BIOS to the latest version available?

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Sun Mar 30, 2008 20:10

The main computer I have now is on its second MOBO, for months I had all sorts of trouble Audio, Video, crc errors etc. It was all sorted with a MOBO change. So it could easy be your MOBO.

If you are sending in your computer to be fixed, you will need to keep your HDD's in. If you are woried about your sensative data, I think F/S would be ok. Having said that it would be best to delete any personal data, empty your temp & Internet temp folders etc. When your computer is clean of any personal data you will need to scrub the free space on your HDD's [ takes hours to complete]. That will stop anyone trying to recover the data you have deleted

A free program that will scrub your HDD's is Hard Disk Scrubber V2.1 You can download it from:-

http://www.summitcn.com/download2.htm

I've just got in so later I will look at F/S site about your Bio's questions...... 8)

Amilo D1845
Dell Inspiron 1720

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Sun Mar 30, 2008 23:25

Cant find anything on you change logs. The advice on updating the Bios varies depending on who you listen to. A lot of people say if it isn't broke why fix it. This I think comes from the point of view if it goes wrong and oh boy it can, then all you have is an expensive paperweight. Bios updates don't just fix bugs, they can give you new bios options and alow you to fit newer and larger CPU's etc etc....So it can be very useful, still hold my breath and cross my fingers everytime I flash the bios. Not gone badly wrong yet! :wink:

Amilo D1845
Dell Inspiron 1720

Mikan

Postby Mikan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 13:52

Thanks again for your reply. I agree, I also prefer to have the latest firmware, and usually take the risk of upgrading, crossing fingers that the process will complete successfully, and the electricity won't be shut down in the middle ;)

Turns out that the closest service provider is pretty far away from my place, my warranty assumes I take all expenses on shipment, and they will indeed reformat all drives before attempting to diagnose the problem. And if they don't find any issues, I'll be charged for the time spent with my PC. Given the problem is not an easy one to reproduce, I'm not willing to take this risk. I'll just buy a new mainboard instead, hoping it's the MB which causes BSODs, and not the CPU. I was told that pre-installed Vista won't work with the new mainboard, so I'll probably have to buy a Vista license as well.

Instead of getting exactly the same mainboard (I think it's nForce 650i), I'm willing to try something else. Do you think it'll worth it installing nForce 780i SLI and 1066 MHz memory? I have a Q6600 CPU.

Dave O

Postby Dave O » Tue Apr 01, 2008 17:10

If you do sent the machine off, scrub the free space just to make sure that no one can recover and personal data.

If you do fit a new MOBO it will probably trigger a request to get a new activation code. Microsoft aren’t as bad as people think on this matter. Just ring up and say the MOBO failed and had to be replaced. I’ve done this twice over the years, did not have any trouble either time. But if you replace the MOBO, CPU and memory; then that may well be an issue.

It may be a good time to upgrade to something better, buy an OEM version of Vista will cost no more than £60 anyway. The only issue with OEM over the full retail version, you will get no telephone support as you are considered the system builder. And the O/S is tied to one machine, whereas the retail version can be moved to a new machine. You can get OEM Vista at http://www.ebuyer.com/product/123052 don't worry when it says system builders only. have bought loads from here... 8)

Amilo D1845
Dell Inspiron 1720

Return to “SCALEO”