[Scaleo P] Hanging

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

snailspace7

[Scaleo P] Hanging

Postby snailspace7 » Tue May 15, 2007 15:50

I have a Scaleo P with a P4 3.2. I have had a constant problem with the PC just hanging & the only way to get it going is to switch it off and restart. The problem mainly occurs just after it has booted up. I do allow all programs in the start menu to load before attempting to open anything else. The computer either hangs when I open a program or just after all startup programs have loaded. The last one to load is usually the ATI graphics. I have reloaded windows XP from the recovery disc onto a completely formatted hard drive but the problem keeps coming back. Any ideas? Thanks.
I hope to live forever, so far so good.

RitzOO7

Postby RitzOO7 » Tue May 15, 2007 21:11

If you've wiped the computer already and it keeps hanging, it may be hardware related.

One last thing you can try is turning off all uneccessary programs at start-up and the ones that run in the background. Start>Run>msconfig>OK.

Under the services and startup tabs, click disable all. Re start machine. Does it still hang? How is it in Safe Mode?

Post back plz.

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Wed May 16, 2007 17:06

I had a problem with my Scaleo P hanging after startup and also on the BIOS screen (Fujitsu-Siemens logo). It was a controller issue for the DVD drive as it was detecting it wrongly. I had a new mainboard and it's been fine since. But you can check this by right clicking on My computer, clicking manage, clicking on event viewer and then system. See if there are any errors there. Mine said something about controller errors.

Hope that might of helped.

bigliam1970

Postby bigliam1970 » Fri May 18, 2007 9:17

Will the computer boot into safe mode?

Tap F8 as the computer is starting and choose 'Safe Mode'.

From there you can check to make sure your drivers are correctly loaded, right click on 'my computer' and select 'properties' and then hardware tab to access 'device manager'.

Device manager will tell you if any of your drivers are paying up.

Post back with an update..

Big Liam :)

snailspace7

Scaleo P Hanging - Update

Postby snailspace7 » Mon May 21, 2007 13:58

Thanks for the advice so far. I have completely formatted the hard drive and done a clean install of a new copy of XP Professional. Things were absolutely fine for a while. Now I get boot problems. After the Fujitsu Siemens screen I get a message "Invalid Boot INI file booting from C:windows". If this message appears then the PC starts OK and works fine. If it does not appear the PC will hang at the BIOS stage. Any more ideas? Many thanks.

bigliam1970

Postby bigliam1970 » Mon May 21, 2007 14:44

See this link:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6199.html

I hope this helps..

snailspace7

Scaleo P Hanging

Postby snailspace7 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:31

The BOOT.INI file was blank. I typed in the details on notepad as recommended in the link & the error message has gone.

bigliam1970

Postby bigliam1970 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 14:30

Glad you got it sorted snail, thanks for posting back..

snailspace7

Scaleo P Hanging

Postby snailspace7 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:20

The hanging problem reappeared with the PC either refusing to boot past the Fujitsu Siemens logo or seizing up at the Welcome page. This has been a persistent problem since I bought the PC & it has been recovered several times by me & PC World "engineers" in an effort to resolve the issue. Once I got it going I checked the error log & there were a lot of entries relating to the ATI graphics software. I installed the latest drivers & Catalyst Control Centre but the problem persisted. I got hold of an nVidia 512mb PCI graphics card on eBay, uninstalled all the ATI software & installed the nVidia card. No more problems.

Return to “SCALEO”