[Scaleo P] Strange HDD noise

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

olshevch

[Scaleo P] Strange HDD noise

Postby olshevch » Sat May 12, 2007 9:50

Hi,

I have Scaleo Pa 1519 with M2R-FVM motherboard. It has had Seagate ST3250824AS since I bought it. And I added Western-Digital WD1600JS-08NCB1 later. Both are SATA. WD drive supports low-niose management option in BIOS.
Sometimes I hear strange noise from hard drives. I am not sure, which of them makes this noise. It sounds like a "clock". Ticking with period of 0.5-1 seconds and some dizzing in between. This can start any time and end by itself. A duration can also vary from less than a minute to several and probably tens of minutes. It is not connected to computer usage, either I run a game or it just idle and I am sitting in other end of the room.

What could it be?

tenchiten
Product(s): Frankenputers

Postby tenchiten » Sat May 12, 2007 21:15

Hi Olshevch,
It could just be your HDD accessing data but it does sound a little ominous.
You could try disconnecting whichever drive is the slave in order to identify which drive the noise is coming from.
I personally would consider backing up any critical data once you know which drive is making a noise as it could possibly be a HDD failure pending.
One of my scaleo machines made an odd noise from the HDD a few weeks ago and a few days later it was goodnight Vienna, and I did not back up the data from that one, big headache.
Hope this is not the case for you
Learning all the time.

olshevch

Postby olshevch » Mon May 14, 2007 13:33

Actually, I use the second drive for backup. I am obviously aware about possible and probable disk failure.

I am too lazy for openins the case and disconnecting the drive. Because I am pretty sure that the WD drive makes the noise. And because I use one partition on it for keeping Windows page file and I don't want to reconfigure it.

I posted the question, because I have a hope that this is just because of this 'noise management' feature or because of Windows file indexing service or etc. and that somebody can tell for sure.

tenchiten
Product(s): Frankenputers

Postby tenchiten » Mon May 14, 2007 21:04

Oh, I see :roll:
Learning all the time.

Return to “SCALEO”