Scaleo P~ A Nightmare Year

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

samjaza

Scaleo P~ A Nightmare Year

Postby samjaza » Thu Oct 26, 2006 15:32

Greetings all, and I apologize for this my first post which is a rant :-(

I bought a Fujistsu Scaleo P computer September 05' from PC World.
It began to create problems from day one. Graphics freezing. Rebooting etc.
For 3 months PC World were telling me it was software and viruses/spyware etc !
After 2 reinstalls of windows they finally decided to believe me and after letting them hear the sound of my hardrive agreed it was faulty.
The hard drive was replaced in December.
The problems still persisted.
The hard drive they gave me was faulty.
They replaced that.

The computer ran better but still had annoying faults and glitches.
A few more phone calls, a few more reinstalls and reformats.
Still no change.
I was told to try turning down the acceleration on my graphics card !!
This helped a bit.
But more hangs and reboots that got worse and worse.

I couldn't burn DVD's they all failed. Files I transeferred became corrupt.
PC World convinced me it was Software and registries.
More reinstalls.
Eventually they told me to run the Windiag to test my memory.
It all failed big time ~ 690 fails.

They replaced the memory.

After all this time my warranty had finally ran out.
And, I still had some problems.

The odd hang and reboot with "serious error" messages.

PC World have washed their hands and said they repaired the memory as that was faulty and unless the memory fails in the 3 months after the computers warranty ended I'm stuffed.

My computer now makes various noises and occassionaly takes the main breaker of the house out.
PCWorld aren't interested.

So!

legally.

Under the Sale of Goods Act as the computer was defective from the time I bought it, I am covered for up to six years. PC World do not acknowledge this and have fobbed me off with various phone calls that leave me hanging on, or am passed to some "Malcom" from the stores who can't help until his boss turns up. (He never does)

I can box the thing up, take it back, get a receipt and get my Visa company to pursue it.

I can get a "no win no fee" consumer advice lawyer to take up the case, I explained this to PC World who unbelievably said its an option I should consider.

I basically wanted them to give me a free extended warranty to cover what is a defective machine that has not been repaired adequately.

This is where I stand. Or is it?

I am currently writing a book called "Triggers Broom" about PC World and my computer interlaced with other stories but the crux is all about PC World, the hillarious phone calls with brain dead technical advice, the trips to the stores, and would like to invite anyone here who has experienced the wonderful service of PC World to offer their comments. None of it is slander as I have proof and recorded telephone calls and emails and even a video with one gormless geek.
BBC's Consumer Dept have taken an interest in my experience and there will be a report in one of their various consumer programmes.

3 Hard drives.
2 memory strips
10x Window installs
4 x Complete reformats.
This is the machine that is "much more stable than my old Celeron running Windows ME" (which only ever had one reinstall !) and all this in the first 12 months and still it doesn't work !

It still doesn't work, the warranties have run out and they pass me to Malcom, the trainee at Southend Airport PC World !
and if PC World read this, why bother being interested when you haven't been before.

What should I do next guys?

JohnFryett

Postby JohnFryett » Tue Oct 31, 2006 14:03

Have you considered the county court (otherwise known as the 'small claims court')? You can file a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk.

Stubby

Postby Stubby » Thu Nov 02, 2006 17:32

Hi,

I just wanted to say your not alone, we're going through a similar experience at the moment. I bought a scaleo P last Nov and for the past 4 weeks, it has been playing up, graphics freezing, random crashes and resets accompanied by serious error messages on reboot. This can happen anytime whether playing games or just surfing the net, or typing documents, The hard drive clicks occasionally and running memory tests shows errors too

Anyway, I've reformatted/installed XP restore dvd and driver CD 3 times now and still it plays up in the same way - so i'm pretty sure its hardware, not software.

The reason i've written this in this post is to describe the following day i've had with PC technical support as it is somewhat related.

1st Head down to local PC World - was told it would cost £70 charge or if it was to be under warranty, to phone FS support as it was their warranty and was up to them to fix it.

2nd came home and phoned FS support who said it was PC World's responsibilty to sort it out. as the computer was purchased through them. Note i have no qualms with FS (fujitsu Seimens) support as i know full well, it is the sellers (PC World) responsibilty.

3rd Phoned up PC World and was told again it was FS responsibilty. Told them about the conversation, I'd had but still no joy. They then left me on hold for...well after 20 minutes i hung up.

4th phoned citizens advice and consumerwatch (cant remember their exact name now but citizens advice give the munber out whilst waiting to talk to someone) and get a complete detailed account of my exact rights. With this in hand I rephoned PC World and managed to get put through to the local PC Store after another explanation, who then put me back on hold to the technical department which after another 10 minutes, was still on hold. Decided then to cancel phonecalls as i'd run up enough of a phone bill for one day!!!. Am now planning to write a letter and send it recorded delivery to a) the manager of local store and b) to PC World head office.

I have documented all of todays phone calls and shop visit and have the names of people who have served/spoken to me, their phone numbers, the date and time of each conversation.

All I want, espcially with only 3 weeks of warranty left, is to have the PC sorted out, My kids can't play their games and my wife can't do her studying/coursework. All PC World had to do was say, yes certainly, its under warranty, we'll book it in, test it for possible hardware errors and sort it out - now i have untold headaches in front of me having to fight for what are my basic consumer rights.

MagicBoy

Postby MagicBoy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 21:28

Nice to see PCW have not improved. I used to work instore in Customer Services and then Tech Support years ago back when the cheapest PC in the store was £1299.

That said .. my Scaleo P was brand new ex-PC World stock that I got cheap through a supplier we use at work.

wbr4bruce

PC World experience

Postby wbr4bruce » Tue Nov 07, 2006 14:44

Wonderful sales department, sell you anything at all to make another sale statistic.
After sales are superb, they were quick to point out that software is not covered by their guarantee, so it's not their problem.

That would be the Anti virus software, (part of the sales pitch), pre installed on the PC that I have been reliably informed is not compatible with my PC.
My own conclusion when thinking of PC World sales / after sales, is that I have found nicer things on my hankie.

richardmun

Postby richardmun » Wed Nov 08, 2006 23:46

pc world are a load of idiots i bought my scaleo p from there but i ve had no treouble yet touch wood when i go in there store and ask a technical question they don have a clue what im on about the staff they hire dont know nothing i know more than they do and i dont know much about pc

Return to “SCALEO”