Scaleo E Card reader and 2GB Mini SD Card

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

saxtell

Scaleo E Card reader and 2GB Mini SD Card

Postby saxtell » Wed Aug 23, 2006 18:23

Hello

I have recently bought a phone running Windows Mobile 5 with a built in GPS antenna and which has a Mini SD Card slot. The Route 66 GPS software that I bought requires 2 GB to fit all of the maps of Europe on it so I bought a 2GB SanDisk Ultra Mini SD card. These have an adapter so it can fit into the SD card slot of the Scaleo E's card reader.

The first thing I did was to format the card. I then went to the Route 66 installation program and when it asked me which maps I wanted I chose all of them. I received an error that I needed a 2GB card. I checked how much available space there was in the card and to my horror there was only 1GB. I wanted to start using my GPS so I settled for the maps of the countries I am most likely to visit and installed them.

However I decided today that it must have been possible to recover that extra Gig so I did some more searching. My hopes were raised when I found this utility: http://www.ritekusa.com/absupport_downl ... ar&catid=8

Sure enough when I formatted the card with sdfix2g I got more or less 2GB of usable space. This time the Route66 installer was happy to let me install all of the maps BUT when the card reached 1 Gig capacity it threw a bad parameter error and when I tried to copy one of the map files manually I got the same error message from Windows Explorer. The result is that I am unable to write more than 1 GB to this card.

The DeskUpdate utility reports that I am completely up to date with drivers as does Windows Update.

The fact that this sdfix2g utility exists tells me that this is not a problem with the card. My suspicion is that it is the driver for the card reader. Has anybody else encountered this problem and managed to solve it?

saxtell

Postby saxtell » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:27

Following information received from another forum, I have discovered that 2GB cards are a relatively recent innovation and that the Scaleo E's card reader is limited to 1 GB. I went out an bought a USB 2 reader and thne able to handle the full 2GB.

Return to “SCALEO”