Is this PC supposed to be this noisy

SCALEO E, SCALEO H, SCALEO X, SCALEO L, SCALEO P

Moderator: ModTeam

caroline

Is this PC supposed to be this noisy

Postby caroline » Wed Feb 15, 2006 14:33

I have searched through the forum to see if this has already been covered, but i cant really find an answer to my specific question which is as the topic suggests. My previous PCs have been Packard Bell which were extemely quiet so i dont know if this is normal with the Fujitsu products.
It constantly 'whirrs and clicks' which i dont think is the fan as i hear that come on, (loudly) on a regular basis.
Can someone please tell me if this is how it should be so i can at least try to get used to it.

Thanks in advance
Caroline :?

PS The cordless keyboard and mouse that came with this PC dont seem very responsive, could that be low battery or are they rubbish.

caroline

Postby caroline » Wed Feb 15, 2006 14:35

Forgot to say this is a Scaleo P 6701

StellaMaris

Postby StellaMaris » Wed Feb 15, 2006 15:39

My Scaleo P is noisy. Drives starting up and the fan are noisy. Mine overheated and I had to have a new fan and processor! Still noisy, but a lot cooler now.

caroline

Postby caroline » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:57

I assume then from the one reply to my post (for which i thank you) that this is normal, but if theres a possibility that it may overheat i hadnt better try to hide the noise by putting it inside desk. As its only a few days old i am seriously thinking of taking it back, its driving me mad now in a few months i will probably be insane. Shame because its a really nice looking machine with all the spec that i wanted.

I will exchange it for another Packard Bell at least the forum isnt like a ghost town, as far as i know there arent any PB technical support but there is always help or good advice from the other users something sadly lacking here. Go take a look and see how it should be done!

Caroline :(

StellaMaris

Postby StellaMaris » Fri Feb 17, 2006 14:53

Glad to have replied! Only came back to see if anything had changed on this forum, but it does not look like it. :cry:

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 19:53

My Scaleo P is pretty much silent, unless I am playing a game, or using a program which uses 100% of the CPU for a long period of time. It may be that your computer has a virus or some kind of adware which is using up your CPU. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard to look at the active processes and how much CPU usage they are taking up. Ideally, your System Idle Process down the bottom should be at around 98% when you are not doing anything.

If your CPU usage is high when you are not doing anything, I strongly recommend that you check for viruses uisng Trend Micro Housecall (search on Google), and Lavasoft Ad-adware (search on Google), both are free.

You can use a program like Lavalys Everest Home Edition (search for it on Google) to check your fan speed of the CPU and Chassis, and the heat of your CPU, Hard Drive and other devices. (Under "Sensor" on Lavalys Everest Home Edition). My Mothereboard runs at around 35 Degrees, and my Hard Drive at around 25. My CPU fan is around 1300 when I am not doing much.

Hope that helped.
Mike

caroline

Postby caroline » Sun Feb 19, 2006 16:19

:) Thanks Mike for that information, but i think that confirms what i already thought that this noise isnt normal. At the time of checking my CPU useage was 4% and the System Idle Process was as you said 98%, though there does seem to be a fair number of active processes (I think i read somewhere once that a lot of the active process are not actually needed and to get rid of the ones that arent, is this something that i have dreamt if not how can i tell).
I dont think a virus is the problem its been like it since it came out of the box which isnt quite 2 weeks ago (which was the reason that i wanted some advice so i could return it to the shop within the 28 days). To be honest its still noisy when its not being used at all it just sits there 'whirring', it does sound like its working very hard. Initially i thought it was the fan noise but now im not entirely convinced that it is.

I will try Lavalys Everest Home Edition to see if that reveals anything un-toward.

Thanks
Caroline

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 18:01

If you try and put your ear up against the computer and listen to what part it is coming from, that might give you a clue as to what's up. If you have a torch handy, then you can look into your computer by looking through the hatched bit on the side if you know where I mean. If it's the CPU fan, then you can see that quite clearly straight ahead of you if you look through the bit on the side of the computer.

I'll wait and see how fast your fans are running etc before I can say any more.

Hope that helped.
Mike

caroline

Postby caroline » Sun Feb 19, 2006 19:31

Hi again

I have just run a scan and result shows that the CPU temprature is 29 °C (84 °F), Hardrive is 37 °C (99 °F), the CPU fan is varying between 1630 and 1705 RPM and the chassis fan is 2220 RPM.
I will just add that whilst typing this the fan noise became louder (no apparant reason) and speed went up to 2550 RPM

On closer inspection as you suggested the constant whirr is definatley coming from the larger vent toward the back of PC, from the smaller one near the front its what i would describe as an acceptable hum.

Caroline

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 19:44

Hey, it doesn't sound like your computer is overheating, but your fan is probably just dodgy, and I would recommend replacing the chassis fan. Your Hard Drive is quite warm really, so I'm not quite sure how good a job your chassis fan is doing. The fan is probably just worn out, and if your PC is new, then I'd definitely suggest you take it back and get a new one.
My chassis fan runs at around 2250 the whole time, ad I can never hear it, it's just the CPU fan that rises and I can hear whirring.

However, I might be wrong about all of this and you'd be better off getting some advice from more people just to be sure.

Hope that helped.
Mike

caroline

Postby caroline » Sun Feb 19, 2006 20:00

As you may have gathered all this technical stuff is a bit over the top of my head, the only things i know have been on a need to know basis, so on the risk of sounding completley dumb, which fan is which? :oops:

Caroline
Who really does appreciate the help that she has received.

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 20:47

Hey, I'm really sorry, I should've told you, but I just assume that people have so much technical knowledge or I might patronize them if they know more than me! The fan at the back is the chassis fan, as it takes air out of your chassis (the case of the computer). The CPU fan is the fan that cools down the processor (or Central Processing Unit - hence the name CPU). That's the fan that you can see through the side bit of your Scaleo P case.

Hope that made sense.
Any other things you want to know?
I'll try my best :)
Mike

caroline

Postby caroline » Sun Feb 19, 2006 21:27

Thanx Mike for taking the time to give me advice, from the help that you have provided at least i now now that its the chassis fan that seems to be the noisy one, i will make some enquiries tomorrow as to whether this can be replaced, as i dont really want to take the complete system back.

I will post any update on this situation when i know more.

I have tried to think of anything else that i need to know, im sure theres lots but nothing specific right now, but after initially being quite disappointed in this forum i now know that there is some helpful advice to be found here so i will definatley be back. :D

Thanks again
Caroline

Mike_26

Postby Mike_26 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 21:34

No problem, a chassis fan should really be quite cheap (£5) but it might be the power supply or something similar.

I hope you can get it fixed,
let me know the outcome!

Mike

NFSMW

Postby NFSMW » Sun Feb 19, 2006 21:46

I Think you should check your Bios ....If its American Megatrends then with these Bios you can reduce the rpm of your fan ..... if you chek Hardware Monitor in Bios then there´s a Fan Ratio menu....there you can set the ratio of your Fan ,from minimum to highest rpms (30 up to 60%) Or for optimal choice choose Auto ...Then exit and save your settings :)

If its still too loud ...then here´s my advice - Arctic Cooling Freezer :)

Return to “SCALEO”