FibreCAT SX, FibreCAT NX, FibreCAT TX, ETERNUS DX, ETERNUS LT, ETERNUS CS

Moderator: ETERNUS Moderator Team

newdatasystem
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Primergy BX400 S1
Fujitsu Siemens Eternus DX60

ETERNUS DX60: LUNs configurations

Postby newdatasystem » Mon Dec 12, 2011 16:39

Hi.
First of all, I must tell I have no experience with the Eternus and maybe what I'm going to ask is so easy to solve.

I got a 1TB-5HDD-Eternus DX60 configured in RAID5 for a total capacity of 4TB and I have to make it visible to a Primergy BladeServer.
On the server there's VMware ESXi 4.1 installed and, due to limitations, it can only map LUNs up to 2TB.
My question is: is there a way to have an entire volume (in this case 4TB) with split LUNs (two LUNs of 2TB each)?
Having some attempts, I realize that when you create a volume, it instantly corresponds to a single LUN.

Thanks in advance.

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: ETERNUS DX60: LUNs configurations

Postby me@work » Mon Dec 12, 2011 17:10

I might be misinterpreting what you wrote, but to me, it seems that what you want is not possible. A volume in Eternus terms always corresponds to a LUN.

Instead, you can have a RAID Group (i.e. a bunch of disks with a certain redundancy level, in your case 5 1TB disks in RAID5), on which you create separate Volumes in smaller chunks, which in turn will be presented as LUNs to the connected hosts.

BTW: You might want to consider upgrading your ESXi4.1 hosts to vSphere5, as the new version now supports LUNs above 2TB.

newdatasystem
Product(s): Fujitsu Siemens Primergy BX400 S1
Fujitsu Siemens Eternus DX60

Re: ETERNUS DX60: LUNs configurations

Postby newdatasystem » Mon Dec 12, 2011 18:09

I just had that suspect but I wanted to be sure of it.
So maybe I'll consider upgrading to vSphere 5, just didn't know that limitations in new version have been removed.
Thank you so much for your speedy answer. You're so kind.

Return to “Storage solutions”