[N720] REQUEST: New ROM to address SD corruption problem!!

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

drizo72

[N720] REQUEST: New ROM to address SD corruption problem!!

Postby drizo72 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 14:58

According to Microsoft, there is a:
Windows CE .NET 4.2 Product Update Rollup, December 31, 2006

Along with a multitude of fixes, several fixes have to do with SD cards.

Namely:
Component: TFAT
* 040521_KB842067 - This is an update to improve TFAT performance on Windows CE .NET 4.2.
* 040521_KB842067 - When a removable TFAT volume (SD card) is unmounted while another volume (HDD) is being written to, a FAT table, directory clusters, and data clusters on the TFAT volume may get corrupted; and the TFAT volume may become unusable.
* 040521_KB842067 - MoveFile API and SetFileAttributes API may not be transaction safe in some cases.
* 040521_KB842067 - If the cache is enabled, a data corruption may occur when the files on the removable storage card are being used by more than one process at the same time.
* 040709_KB843287 - In some cases requests to allocate multiple FAT clusters may result in a low disk space and data corruption.
* 050317_KB893415 - Under heavy stress conditions, a WriteFile to a TFAT volume may sometimes return ERROR_DISK_FULL even though there is plenty of free space on the media.
* 050421_KB896364 - Files copied to a storage card may fail to display if the card was formatted as FAT on the desktop.
* 060331_KB916628 - TFAT volume corrupts when multiple threads write files under the same directory.

I am facing all the above critical problems, as a heavy user of my Pocket LOOX 720. I see that Microsoft has addressed all these issues with service releases. However these updates can only be applied by OEMs (ie. Fujitsu-Siemens) by releasing a new Flash ROM firmware).

FSC, could you please produce a new service release Flash ROM? The situation with the SD cards reliability is unacceptable! I have lost many critical files because of SD card related software problems.

Not to mention the loss of card issue... No matter how many times I eject and reinsert the card, The card stays inactive... and it comes back at a later random time... MS says this problem has to do with the notorious PNPUnloadDelay registry key issue, but changing the value of it has no effect unless the OEM (ie FSC) changes it into the firmware.

PLEASE FSC, RELEASE an UPDATE with all the latest MS Hotfixes for Windows Mobile 2003SE. We do not need WM5, but at least give us all the hotfixes to make our device usable and reliable again.

Thank you,

Dimitris

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”