Use GPS data from LOOX on a PC

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

joseluisillo

Use GPS data from LOOX on a PC

Postby joseluisillo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:32

Hi all,

I am pretty sure this is a very simple question, but can't get it to work or maybe it's not possible at all.

Is is possible to transfer the GPS data received on the LOOX to a PC/laptop via the USB cable to use it on a GPS software installed on the laptop?

I'd be very thankful if someone can provide me with a solution!

Many thanks...

mjcoon

Postby mjcoon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:16

I don't know the answer, except that I'm sure it will require a program on the Loox to copy the NMEA text stream (I'm assuming that is what the PC will require) to the USB port.

And then there is the question of what program runs on the PC and whether it will read from the USB port and whether the Loox program sends the format it expects.

I suggest (since the Loox is a variety of PPC) that you ask your question on a Microsoft message board or on the GPS newsgroup (sci.geo.satellite-nav).

HTH, Mike.

joseluisillo

Postby joseluisillo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:32

Many thanks Mike,

I would expect that issue to be a very common task. I am using a GIS software that works nicely with a bluetooth GPS, but wanted to use my Loox as the GPS source, being sure that a small piece of software is needed to stream the data through the USB port as you say.

Does not look as common as I thought. Will check the newsgroup you suggested. Thanks again!

Jose.

peter-h

Postby peter-h » Mon Dec 03, 2007 17:36

There are GPS moving map applications which have a feature for logging the track to a file. This will normally be a text file containing the NMEA data, one point per line.

However I have never seen one on pocket/pc that does track logging. Actually, Memory Map probably does...

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”