[C550] WiFi Internet Access Issues

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

davidse

[C550] WiFi Internet Access Issues

Postby davidse » Wed Oct 17, 2007 14:30

I have just purchased a LOOX C550 and am experiencing problems accessing the internet via WIFI. After viewing this and other forums I decided not to use the E2C and log on using the WLAN icon in the bottom right of the front page. This seems to work well and I achieve connectivity with my wireless router (Linksys DG834GT).
To help investigate I have also downloaded and installed WiFiCompanion which is a very useful utility. It shows that I have a link, that I have acquired an IP address, the signal strength and data rate - all seems to be fine. However when I try to access a web site (using sitting within a meter of the access point) sometimes I am lucky but very often not with the timeout message appearing. I have tried Opera mobile - same story. In these circumstances the TraceRt untility in WiFi Companion shows nothing being sent from the C550 and as you would expect pinging does not work either.
I have also tried manually setting up the DNS, and changing the WiFi channel on the router, but the problem continues. On one occasion this morning it actually worked for a time, but next time it did not.
Having had an HP in the past which connected fine, albeit 802.11b, this is proving to be a very frustrating experience.
Just to make sure that I wasn't doing anything daft I tried my laptop using the same settings - absolutely no problems.
I do not know whether others have experienced similar issues but would be interested to hear of any thoughts.
Thanks

davidse

Postby davidse » Fri Oct 19, 2007 17:14

I think I may have found the answer to this problem.
Under Wireless Settings there is a section on WLAN Power save mode. I had left mine set to the default 'Auto' but now when I changed this to 'Disable' I gained reliable internet access - this also seemed to be OK in the 'Enable' mode although I not tried this as extensively.
I cannot find any reference to this in the manual but can only assumer this alters the WiFi transmit power level to save the battery. Why 'Auto' seems to be an issue on my device I do not know, but I now have access which I have had working with a couple of other HotSpots away from my home setup.

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”