How to install programs on N560?

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

RogerK
Product(s): Pocket LOOX N520

How to install programs on N560?

Postby RogerK » Mon Jul 02, 2007 20:01

I've tried to install Adobe Reader for mobiles and Mobile Skype (version specifically for N560) using ActiveSynch from my PC.

Wen I click on the exe file in File Explorer, Windows reports that they are not valid pocket pc applications, which is hard to believe.

What am I doing wrong?

RogerK

How to install programs?

Postby RogerK » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:24

I see a program called Download Agent with an Install button, but there is no Help info about how to get my downloaded files into it.

Should it recognise not yet installed .exe files brought in via ActivSync?

amater
Product(s): Lifebook E8020, Lifebook S7110, Amilo D7830, Amilo Pro V2030, Pocket LOOX N560, Scenic L, Scenic XS, Celsius M460

Postby amater » Thu Jul 05, 2007 13:12

If you get the error "Not a valid Win32 application" (or something similar), then this means you have the installer for the direct instalation on the PDA. It means you have to copy the file to your PDA (either via active sync or via cardreader and SD card). Then you open the FileExplorer on the PDA and execute the file. It will then install the application.
Share your knowledge...

RogerK

Postby RogerK » Sat Jul 07, 2007 20:43

I did try executing the files from FileExlorer and got the same error message 'not a Pocket PC program'.

As a new user, I am still struggling to install any program at all: Adobe Reader (AdbeRdr20_ppc_enu.exe), Skype, and Navigon, which was absent from the PDA when I bought it, and which I have bought and downloaded naming the model of PDA etc.

Navigon TS suggested running one of the unzipped files, Start.exe, on the PC, which then would install the program on a connected 2GB memory card. Unfortunately this too fails and offers no option to select a folder or drive, no error message.

The Pocket PC's FSC MobileZip help says that archives up to 4GB are supported, so I tried to present it with the 1.8GB Navigon zip file, but the ActiveSync operation just gave up on the transfer from PC to PDA. Maybe the PDA hasn't got the capacity, hence the need to keep the Navigon prog and data on an SD card.

RogerK

Postby RogerK » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:19

I have succeeded in installing Adobe Reader and Skype.

Unzipping on the PC is the first step. Then, as in a treasure hunt, see if there's a text file to give you the next one. This may be to copy the files into a My Documents folder to facilitate transfer to the PDA by ActiveSync.

With Skype there was no instruction, but running the biggest .cab file on the PDA did the trick. Soon the Skype screen and a test call option appeared, wow, VoIP worked!

The downloaded Navigon 6.2 software still resists all efforts, and Navigon's TS are sending duplicate replies by email in slow time. :(

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”