T830 annoyances

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

cristian.bradiceanu

T830 annoyances

Postby cristian.bradiceanu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26

Hi all,

I spent two hours on Fujitsu-Siemens support web site but I could not find a way to report my problems with T830 device, only this forum. I hope this message will be read by appropriate technical staff.

So, here is my list:

Network mode (Auto/3G/2G) and WLAN power saving (Enable/Disable/Auto) settings are not retained across soft resets or even when switching off/on the device

Battery life is about 40 hours (looks like the “marketing” value is measured with Phone, Bluetooth and WLAN switched off and device in stand-by)

No VoIP (as stated at http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/campaigns/pocket_loox_t/pocket_loox_t_series.html -
“It enables you also to make Voice over IP (VoIP) phone calls via WLAN/UMTS”

Sometimes I have to switch on and off WLAN for several times in Wireless Manager to get connected (two notebooks and a Nokia E70 phone have no problem connecting to the same Access Point)

Stylus is not firmly attached when inserted into device body - perhaps it’s too thin. Luckily there’s another one in the box

I found no way to call a number like *123# (so I cannot see my current phone bill)

Device crashes while receiving contacts via Bluetooth from my MacBook’s Address Book

I couldn’t find a way to switch off camera “shutter” sound

Skype (tested 2.1.0.66 and 2.2.0.20) crash the device when trying to call a regular phone number. Calls to computers work fine.

My T830 has all official patches applied as of today, Feb. 13, 2007 (PhoneConfig Utility, PocketSuite Update 01 for Image 1.09, Pocket LOOX T810 / T830 OS Flash Update P22452-P919-V812).

The latest version of this list is available on my website at http://www.bradiceanu.net/wordpress/?p=40.

I can only hope that Fujitsu-Siemens will at least consider these annoyances and glitches.

All the best,
Cristian Bradiceanu

onlineamiga

Postby onlineamiga » Fri Feb 16, 2007 17:05

Hi Cristian,

Network mode not retained across soft resets can be fixed using a program called T830 Tweaker. It was developed by the user group on the first loox forums. Its actually a more comprehensive forum than this one for the T830. (sorry FS!)

As for battery life, it totally depends on what you use it for and what settings you have for eg max performance mode. Do you really need phone bluetooth and WLAN on all at the same time constantly? I find i dont, obviously just the phone is on. And its in standby and my device lasts for a few days.

I too was upset at the lack of an integrated voip application. And i tried a few but never had much success out of them. At the moment the best VOIP app for the T830 is Skype.

As for your WLAN problem, youre not using the FSC Connect utility are you? if so dont. dont run it, dont use it. Delete the Adhoc connectino from your wireless settings. The WM5 client is far far better.

Never heard of stylus problems either.

I am able to dial *123# on my phone, though as im with vodafone UK it just comes back with unknown request.

Cant help you with bluetooth crash from macbooks ive only ever synced from pc.

T830 tweaker turns off the cameras shutter sound.

Not had a problem with skype here.

Hope this helps!

cristian.bradiceanu

Postby cristian.bradiceanu » Fri Feb 23, 2007 18:37

Hi,

Phone network mode is not retained using T830 Tweaker (at least with version 1.08 which I tested) - it switches back to Automatic after a reset.
But T830 Tweaker helped me to disable the camera shutter sound. But when I use this free tweaker software I feel like after buying a new car that has some problems the manufacturer doesn't seem to care about and somebody referred to a free toolbox which can fix some of the flaws... Looks like I have a distorted image about German/FSC products quality and support.

I keep WLAN and Bluetooth switched off unless I really need to use them. Performance mode is set to Automatic, network connections are switched off in stand-by mode. I use WLAN for browsing about half an hour daily, Bluetooth a few times per week, 2G phone network mode, receive about two or three SMS daily, use the phone for a 1-2 minutes every day - this is how I got the 40 hours battery life. Same usage pattern with my other phone - 5-6 days battery life.

I found out by trial and error that Skype works only with Auto Performance switched off.

I tried FSC Connect utility but I use WM5 WLAN client for now.

Stylus is shaky when inserted and makes funny noise when I take the T830 in and out of my pocket.

After I type *123# in Phone app and click Talk nothing happens. On other phones with the same SIM card I can dial this number.

I couldn't find a way to iSync with my MacBook so I sent all entries from the Addressbook via Bluetooth but the T830 crashes or starts crawling.

Regards,
Cristian

daaliya
Product(s): NONE

Re: T830 annoyances

Postby daaliya » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01

How do I network my existing house phones to my new VOIP system with SUNROCKET ? I have phones in 7 different locations in my house other than where the gizmo needs to be connected. Is there a way to network my existing phones without trading them for a bunch of satelite portable phones?

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”