[N560] tomtom 6 running very slow on my Loox

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

biggles_no1

[N560] tomtom 6 running very slow on my Loox

Postby biggles_no1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:40

Hi everyone

Last week I 'upgraded' from an old Ipaq 2210 running tomtom 3 to a brand new Loox N560 running tomtom 6.

Tomtom 6 seems to be running very slow on my N560. I tried it out on a local route and the TomTom display is following about 1 or 2 seconds behind.

(btw, I have primed my GPS by leaving it on all day so that all the data is up to date and I had a decent lock on about 5 satellites.)

Even switching off GPS and just browsing around in the map can be painfully slow depending on how much info there is on the map.

I tried installing the new TOMTOM update that was released yesterday and it didnt seem to make any difference. I thought it might be a problem with my SD card so I have also tried 3 different cards.

Slowest card by far was a
1GB Panram card.
Which was virtually unusable

Joint First place
150x Trancend 4GB
80x Kingston 2GB

Which were roughly the same speed.

Could someone please try the following and let me know what speeds you are getting?

Perform a Soft reset, put the processor on Turbo speed and start TomTom
Go to Browse Map mode
Disable all POIs
Centre over London
Select the magnification slider half way so the whole of London is in view
Let it load completely
Now just move the map slightly and let it go to refresh the display
Time how long it takes to completely display the map again

It takes my pda between 8 and 10 seconds.

This surely cant be right can it?

This was with the complete European map, but I also installed the UK map and got the same results.

Zooming in and out even very slowly is very very jerky

I really would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Mike Austin

Re: tomtom 6 running very slow on my Loox n560

Postby Mike Austin » Sat Feb 03, 2007 13:57

biggles_no1 wrote:Could someone please try the following and let me know what speeds you are getting?

Perform a Soft reset, put the processor on Turbo speed and start TomTom
Go to Browse Map mode
Disable all POIs
Centre over London
Select the magnification slider half way so the whole of London is in view
Let it load completely
Now just move the map slightly and let it go to refresh the display
Time how long it takes to completely display the map again

It takes my pda between 8 and 10 seconds.

I got about 5-6 seconds using the UK map. I had no other programs running. Do you have ActiveSync in the background? I have disabled the automatic startup. Also, is your SD card heavily fragmented?

This test may push the limits of the processor, but it is not a typical use for the navigation system. On the road, I noticed little difference between TTN5 on a Palm Tungstem T5 and TTN6 on an N560.

Kess

Postby Kess » Sat Feb 03, 2007 14:38

It takes about 5 seconds to redraw London on my N560 too. I didn't bother to take any special precautions (I didn't do a soft reset, left the processor set to Automatic mode, and had a couple of other programs lurking in the background). My map data is stored on a 1GB Sandisk SD card.

For comparison I tried doing the same thing on my wife's TomTom One - it redraws London in only about 1 second! However, it did appear to display far fewer roads at this zoom setting than my N560 does; I wonder if there is some way of making the PDA version of TomTom show less detail when zoomed out?

Kess

biggles_no1

:-(

Postby biggles_no1 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 17:19

Thanks for the fast replies guys

Well it looks like the map redraw is consistently slow when browsing maps. Thats a shame because I do like to zoom in and out to look at places around the country and that way of working is much much slower than my old setup.

By the way the card was not fragmented. In fact for a while I didnt have anything else on it.

Does anyone else have a problem with the navigator view not keeping up? The scrolling is very smooth but I pass side roads, and turn corners, in real life about 2 seconds before tomtom does. Doent sound like much but on complex junctions and roundabouts its not funny.

I didnt have Active Sync disabled so maybe I will try that and see if it makes a difference in Navigator view.

patriche.eduard
Product(s): FSC POCKET PC N560

Re: tomtom 6 running very slow on my Loox n560

Postby patriche.eduard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 14:57

RECOMANDE YOU MIOMAP better than tom tom

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”