Problem with Loox n520 coming out of standby

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

marty

Problem with Loox n520 coming out of standby

Postby marty » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:09

I really hate to dog on a good product here, but I have a problem with my n520, well more an annoyance than anything.

When I take the unit out of standby, after 10-14 hours, it usually takes about 30+ seconds before the screen actually becomes responsive to touch, let alone useable.

I am aware that I am not the only one that is suffering from this issue, many people have been complaining that they had to soft reset every time they turned the unit on, just to be able to get it to work.

This being said, I was wondering if anyone else is suffering from the same, and at the same point, wondering if FSC is aware of this, and if there might be a fix coming in the near future.

Other than this problem, I have not found anything else wrong, well other than the fact that the docking clip and connection are really flimsy, and that I would like to get a cradle for it.....

FSC- you guys make great hardware, Honestly at home, I only use Fujitsu hard drives in all my computers, because its all from a name I really trust:)

Cheers and Look forward to hearing from you all on this :)

Marty

azium

More N520 Power Problems

Postby azium » Tue Jan 03, 2006 16:24

Marty - I too have a similar problems on my N520, although I think on some occasions the standby period has been considerably less than 10-14 hours (more like 4 or 5).

I had thought it something to do with the TomTom Navigator 5, I'm running (yes I've got the latest patches before anyone asks), as I know TomTom tries to do cleaver things and bypass the standard sleep settings.

A related issue, on a few occasions, I've woken the N520 from standby (with TomTom running), and the screen's gone off again within 10-60 seconds.

But .. apart from sometimes being slow to wake up, and sleeping when it shouldn't -- I've very please with my new N520/TomTom 5 combination.

Tony

marty

looxn520 standby problem

Postby marty » Tue Jan 03, 2006 17:59

Good point about the shorter standby period, for I forgot to mention that.....seems that every time the unit goes into standby, even for periods around 30 mins, that you have to wait for the screen to come active.

I have heard some speculation that this has to do with a conflict behind the GPS hardware and/or driver, and the rest of the software, as I said, pure speculation.

What sparked this comment, seems to be the fact that even users of different manufacturer's GPS PDA models, with the sirfIII chipset, seem to have similar issues, so it seems to be a global problem, not just an FSC problem.

It doesn't seem to be a software issue either, say if you run TomTom, Navigone, MS streets and trips (Euro AutoRoute)........The GPS is as effective, or as latent as the software you use to run it....some software is really good n quick to get a lock, some software is dreadfully slow (I believe this has bearing how how efficiently the software can decode the sat and NMEA streams).

I currently run MS streets and trips for canada, and Route66 mobile for europe, would like to try TomTom Nagravator and a few others as well.

But anyway, I am pretty confident that this is actually an issue with the sirfIII chipset and/or OEM driver supplied with the set. Might be something else, but I will leave it in the capable hands of FSC to make the final determination.

I know FSC is the pinnacle of quality, and that they stand for one thing, that if the end user choses FSC over anyone else, that they get a darn good product. Of course with any new release, there will be gremlins in the system, its an inevitable factor in the Technological PLC (Product Life Cycle). This being said, Im pretty sure that FSC is already working on the issue, and hopefully a patch will be out soon :)

Cheers

Marty

reggie

Sound familiar

Postby reggie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 20:03

We are all happy about this feature :evil:

http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5447

Regards

marty

n520 problems coming out of standby

Postby marty » Wed Jan 11, 2006 21:33

A temporary fix that seems to be working has been posted at the above listed link (previous poster)

It seems like another MS trick, that active sync seems to be persistent in the n500/n520's memory.

Disabling the active sync seems to have fixed the issue......check it out, and try it for yourself.

As for the screen being unresponsive for a bit when you take the unit out of standby, thats more of a hardware issue, slow processor and slow hardware. But that can be lived with.

Hopefully soon though.....FSC or MS could come out with a more official patch for this......HOPEFULLY :)

Cheers

Marty

Kiwibloke

Postby Kiwibloke » Fri Jan 13, 2006 17:37

First post, came here looking for a fix to the 12 hour fault thingy and found the fix thank you very much, well its hasn't been 12 hours yet but looks good, my n520 did it right from the first charge without any other software on it. i had stuck it in a drawer and almost forgotten about it, i also see i wasn't the only person not to get some sort of manual, that really is taking the pi$$ FSC, i will not recomend any product from FSC ever again.

8)

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”