N520 GPS trouple

Pocket LOOX

Moderator: ModTeam

mdh@micho.dk

N520 GPS trouple

Postby mdh@micho.dk » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:15

I have just got a N520 witch should have integreted GPS. I have also Navigon MN|5 but I can not get it working. The PDA can not find any GPS. How can that be?

Hjorten

Postby Hjorten » Fri Dec 30, 2005 21:48

I had the same problem with my N520 and TomTom.
I had to chose "Other NMEA-Gps's" 9600 baud, COM8. Then it worked perfect.

mdh@micho.dk

Thank you!

Postby mdh@micho.dk » Sun Jan 01, 2006 17:31

Thank you very much! It worked :-)

geoffro

Re: Thank you!

Postby geoffro » Sun Jan 08, 2006 17:42

mdh@micho.dk wrote:Thank you very much! It worked :-)

hi how have manged to do it :?:

I have the same as you and i go on the screen to search for satellitesa load of numbers come up then green bars above some of them but in the 'satellites in view' part it says 0

do i have to let carry on doing it's thing or is something wrong

i've got the hardware set to com8 and baud 9600 :? :? :? :?

marty

GPS trouble

Postby marty » Wed Jan 11, 2006 20:56

Well, at this point you have to stay in one spot for a few minutes, so that the GPS can get First Lock on the satelites above, if it gives you a 0 as the number of sats available, that is normal, it sees the satellites, but it is just calculating your triangulated position. and downloading the almanac.

I know that it may be unnerving to have to wait for navigation, but thats just the way it is with these things......

The best and quickest place to get first lock would be in a clear area (no tall buildings or tree cover) close to your departure point, turn on your GPS and WAIT THERE (Don't move too much). If you just turn the unit on and drive, you will NEVER get a first lock, which means you will have to put up without using the GPS for that drive.

GPS is definately not what how it is portrayed in a Bond or any other Hollywood flick (you will never get the instant 2 second fix and zoom in to your exact position) You need to warm it up first, then it will work for you....take out the warm up stage, and you will never use it for that trip (unless you stop somewhere and warm it up aka get the first lock)

You know you have the lock when the latitude/longitude lines have a position listed in them.....otherwise be patient and when the numbers come up, then you can drive and use navigation.

Cheers

Marty

Return to “Handhelds (PDA)”