Onboard VGA not working if GPU plugged in TX300 S7

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

jackydany
Product(s): TX300 S7

Onboard VGA not working if GPU plugged in TX300 S7

Postby jackydany » Fri Feb 28, 2020 14:51

Hi altogether,

i am running a TX300 S7. There is the onboard VGA wich you can enable and disable in Bios.
It says, if you enable it in Bios, it will use the onbaord VGA for Standard output if an extra GPU is plugged in.
But if i plug in a new GPU to the x16 PCIe Slot, the onboard VGA is not working anymore even though its enabled in Bios.
The other GPU is now primary.
As i need the extra GPU for PCI Passthrough to a VM its necessary to have the onboard VGA up an running as primary.

Some ideas how to manage this?
Thanks in advance

Stefan

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: Onboard VGA not working if GPU plugged in TX300 S7

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Mon Mar 02, 2020 16:57

Hello Stefan :)

In what OS do you want to use the GPU card? ESXi, Hyper-V or Linux?
Server TX300 S7 is already at the end of life and support, so what we can do for you is only provide you the the best advice and suggestion.

Thank you!

jackydany

Postby jackydany » Mon Mar 02, 2020 18:15

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I want to passthrough the GPU in Proxmox to a VM.

The Problem is not the passing, but the onboard GPU not working as soon as you loug in an additional GPU in a PCIe slot.
Even though the onboard GPU (VGA) is enabled in Bios. It still deactivates the onboard and you cant get a signal out of it if a GPU is in PCIe Slot.

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Tue Mar 03, 2020 15:16

Hi :)

Hi :)
Proxmox is not supported via our servers, so there will be also a most likely problems with the drivers for the graphics card.

You can try this experimental steps:
Set Local Monitor Off Control (in iRMC-Settings-Services-AVR) to Disabled, then the server did not use the additional card and we can use HTML5 remote console on internal VGA

If this doesn´t help then there is no other options. By adding the external card to the server the onboard card will be disabled, this is by design.

Thank you and regards!

jackydany

Postby jackydany » Wed Mar 04, 2020 0:29

Hi,

sorry, i think you dont get what i try to do and where the problem is (no offense).

There is an onbaord VGA output on the serverboard.
In Bios you can switch to enable, which tells to use the onboard graphicscard to be used even is an additional GPU is plugged into any PCIe Slot.

But this is not working!
If i plug in any GPU, the onboard Graphics show no more signal. It's off.

I just need to activate the onboard graphics to use the GPUs in the PCIe Slots for the Software.

It doesnt matter which os or software i want tu use as this is a Bios/Server issue. I dont even have a harddrive installed yet. So just forget about proxmox, vmware, windows or whatever. This i a just a "bare metal" problem :D

I hope i could point it out better know.

Thanks for your patience.

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:34

I'm afraid that the final sentence from "Ask Fujitsu" is just plain correct:
By adding the external card to the server the onboard card will be disabled, this is by design.

The bios parameter you refer to doesn't actually seem to mean that you can enable/disable the onboard graphics unit (in which case you would rather find it under Advanced -> Onboard Devices); it simply refers to the management controller chip iRMC's Advanced Video Redirection capability to provide access to the server's displayed information via remote access: If set to "disabled", then you can't access your local desktop through AVR, which would make sense as the GPU's display buffer isn't available to the iRMC, anyway.

BTW:
To which slot did you actually install your GPU? There are in fact TWO x16 slots (#6 and #8), only available with a second CPU package, while slot #4 (physically an x16 socket as well) only provides x8 PCIe lanes. Perhaps another slot allows to use your GPU in the way you want...
BTW2 (in case BTW1 doesn't help):
Is the GPU you try one of those that FTS did certify for the server way back then (Tesla or NVS, Xeon Phi)? If not, then BIOS might simply not treat it correctly (like those GPGPUs for specific workloads). Those servers weren't designed (and tested) for consumer-grade graphics adapters...

jackydany

Postby jackydany » Wed Mar 04, 2020 19:13

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I understna what you are trying to say, but i just cant believe it.
In the manual on http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/file/1060 ... ios-de.pdf (sorry, german) chapter 5 its under Server Management where it reads:
Onboard Video
Der Grafik-Controller auf dem System Board kann deaktiviert werden,
wenn eine Grafikkarte eingebaut wird.
Disabled
Der Grafik-Controller auf dem System Board ist deaktiviert.
Enabled
Der Grafik-Controller auf dem System Board ist aktiviert.

Its not in the irmc section. So for me, it means, this is not for the AVR / IRMC / Remote stuff but for simple video output.

Ok. so if there is no way, i will use a simple cheap GPU in the first slot and Passthrough a second one. I have 2 CPUs and enough Memory installed. All Slots are active.
And i know, consumer stuff is not supported. But i bought a cheap used server on ebay, its not supported anymore in anyway :D so i dont care ;)
Had a Proxmox Server on an older Server running for a while, also nothing supported but its not magic. Not supported doesnt mean not working right :D

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Stefan

me@work

Postby me@work » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:33

Well, "Server Management" actually IS iRMC, and the "onboard graphics adapter" is built into that management device, to allow for the AVR feature mentioned :wink: ...

The translation in the English language manual, page 39, doesn't read differently, as it probably had been executed by a German, anyway :-)

But all of this doesn't help you with your issue, sorry.

And I absolutely subscribe to your statement to operate already produced hardware as long as possible (or at least reasonable), rather than replacing it as soon as a slightly modified new version gets released. Of course, a hardware manufacturer might argue differently :lol:

jackydany

Postby jackydany » Tue Apr 07, 2020 16:44

I just wanted to give you an update....

sorry, but you were wrong.
the onboard vga is working properly and fine, even if there is any other gpu in any pcie slot.
what i missed was to enable the option rom in the bios for the extra gpu.

so the onboard vga is not only for the remote console but its just a normal vga and can be used as one.
any other thing would have been very strage at all and not typical for any server.

but thanks for your anyway, i am happy to have it working now :D

me@work

Postby me@work » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:36

Thanks for your update, it might help others fairly well.

It might help even more, if you mentioned some more details :wink: :
- type & brand of the GPU
- slot used
- perhaps hints for using the GPU inside your VM

jackydany

Postby jackydany » Thu Apr 23, 2020 13:41

Hi,
i dont get what these infos would be good for, sorry.

It doesnt matter in which slot you put the GPU, i have acutally 3 installed.

type nvidia and amd. but as i cant passthrough the nvidia properly (know nvidia incompatibilities) and changed to 3 amd GPUs.

also using the GPU inside my vm was not the problem this thread was opened for.

my question was how to use the internal GPU (vga output) for the server itself even if a GPU is installed.
here i was told, not possible. as soon as i plug in another GPU the internal one (vga output) would be disabled.
this is just wrong. i only forgot to activate the bios rom option for the PCIe Slot for the GPUs in the Server-Bios. After activating, i could use all my GPUs independet from the server and the server still used the onbaord VGA as uotput device.
Thats it.

Nothing to do with Slots, GPUs itself, brands, types or even VMs ;)

Hope this will help someone lateron, took me quite some days to get it sorted LOL

See you and thanks!

m4t7e0
Product(s): PRIMERGY SX300_S8
PRIMERGY TX300_S7

Postby m4t7e0 » Wed May 03, 2023 22:05

Anyone can send me the gpgpu pinout scheme?

Return to “Server Products”