Daylightsavings changes not possible via BIOS

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

mulmer

Daylightsavings changes not possible via BIOS

Postby mulmer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 16:26

Hi all,

I'm using a Fujitsu D3417-B2 as headless homeserver with Ubuntu. Via Cron it is set to sleep every evening and via BIOS is wakes up every morning.

Works really well until the clocks are set back or forth due to daylightsaving regulation.

Being a headless server it's quite a pain re-adjusting the clock in the BIOS. Normally BIOS' have a setting for this, but this particular board does not.

So I went on and searched for and software-solution. I thought maybe it would be possible to re-adjust the BIOS (RTC) clock via Ubuntu (ssh) twice per year and then I would be fine.

I found the command: sudo hwclock --set... and it seemed very promising. But it doesnt seem to adjust the BIOS RTC clock at all.. I tested it a few times but after each Reboot e.g. Shutdown+Powerup the BIOS clock was still one hour behind UTC.

So I correctly set the Time in BIOS, put the Server back in it's place and decided to consult the wisdom of the professional community here before wasting more time.

If it's not possible at all, I'm okay living with this issue and planning this maintenance twice a year in my schedule. But maybe im just knocking the wrong door.

Thanks alot for reading and supporting.

Michael

hst7
Product(s): a Fujitsu xeon motherboard

Re: Daylightsavings changes not possible via BIOS

Postby hst7 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 23:02

Set BIOS time to UTC and specify correct timezone in Linux.
Also try to install NTP service to do timekeeping for you.
I'm not using Ubuntu, random, possibly useful video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_FcdPHH9vo#t=40

mulmer

Postby mulmer » Mon Dec 09, 2019 22:08

Ive already done all that basic stuff in the initial Server setup.

The problem is that the RTC Time cannot be set by the Linux and the BIOS it self does not have a setting for Daylight saving months..

NTP fixes the Time of Linux when it is booted, but I want the RTC to be fixed as it is responsble for the server to start by its own in the morning.

Thanks anyway

Ill look at the video but I dont think it has any new / helpful unformation

hst7
Product(s): a Fujitsu xeon motherboard

Postby hst7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:04

sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock
restart, set time in BIOS to your local time

To enable NTP time synchronization:
sudo timedatectl set-ntp true

Return to “Server Products”