What os you have on Primergy 1310?

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

gett
Product(s): FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY TX1310 M3

What os you have on Primergy 1310?

Postby gett » Mon Apr 01, 2019 20:10

I am waiting for my 1310 M3 to be delivered. Interesting, which OS you use with this server. Any experience with ESXi, not officially supported?

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: What os you have on Primergy 1310?

Postby Davie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41

ESXi definitely not supported - and you'd never get it to work with the onboard RAID enabled as ESX doesn't support SATA RAID. I don't think a plug in SAS card is supported in that server either so your only hope would be to run in non-RAID mode. Still unsupported though

gett
Product(s): FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY TX1310 M3

Postby gett » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:45

Davie wrote:ESXi definitely not supported - and you'd never get it to work with the onboard RAID enabled as ESX doesn't support SATA RAID. I don't think a plug in SAS card is supported in that server either so your only hope would be to run in non-RAID mode. Still unsupported though

Well, I think so. I am looking for alternative. I have 4x3TB HDDS + SSD. I want to have two VMs. Any idea? I think I could use CentOS + KVM, but it's not so user friendly as ESXi...

jazzz
Product(s): PRIMERGY TX1320 M2

Postby jazzz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 16:07

I run Proxmox on my TX1320M2. Works great.

Kasazza
Product(s): Lifebook, Esprimo PCs, Celsius, Primergy Servers...

Postby Kasazza » Thu Jun 20, 2019 16:47

gett wrote:
Davie wrote:ESXi definitely not supported - and you'd never get it to work with the onboard RAID enabled as ESX doesn't support SATA RAID. I don't think a plug in SAS card is supported in that server either so your only hope would be to run in non-RAID mode. Still unsupported though

Well, I think so. I am looking for alternative. I have 4x3TB HDDS + SSD. I want to have two VMs. Any idea? I think I could use CentOS + KVM, but it's not so user friendly as ESXi...

Which version of CentOS do you use on TX1310 M3?

I tried one year ago to install CentOS 7 (don't remember which monthly build) on TX1310 M3: it did not work neither with LSI SATA RAID mode, nor with single HDDs in AHCI mode!!!

Regards,
Andrea

Kasazza
Product(s): Lifebook, Esprimo PCs, Celsius, Primergy Servers...

Postby Kasazza » Thu Jun 20, 2019 16:49

jazzz wrote:I run Proxmox on my TX1320M2. Works great.

Are you running PROXMOX over SATA HDDs connected to the internal SATA RAID onboard?

Andrea

jazzz

Postby jazzz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42

Kasazza wrote:

Are you running PROXMOX over SATA HDDs connected to the internal SATA RAID onboard?
Andrea

It could be done that way, but I have disabled the hardware RAID option as it is not necessary nor advisable (according to quite a few people). Proxmox offers ZFS (among other options) for controlling disks which is said to be a better option than hardware raid. ZFS needs direct access to the drives (+ ECC memory), so you should disable raid functions.

And I also have upgraded the chassis and added an HDD extension/expansion box for 2 extra 2.5" drives, so I am running 6x2.5" drives now.

I have decided to buy a cheap Avango/LSI 9211-8i SAS/SATA controller (flashed in HBA/IT mode) for 2x4=8 drives and attach all my six drives to this controller to make management easier. So actually I don't use the onboard sata controllers at all.

At the moment I have 2 drives in ZFS mirror pool (RAID1) to boot from. The other 4 drives are setup as a ZFS striped mirror pool (RAID 10) for reliable data storage with 2x faster read performance. But you could easily setup a different proxmox system with any number of drives.

jazzz

Postby jazzz » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:11

Kasazza wrote:

Andrea

Dear Andrea,

In contrary to my first reply, I am now running Proxmox over SATA HDDs connected to the internal SATA connectors onboard. I have removed the LSI 9211-8i controller because it was running hot and it was not necessary!

I have successfully connected the two extra drives in the HDD expansion box to SATA port 5 and 6 on the mainboard with a reverse breakout SAS/SATA cable.

I do NOT use the onboard RAID functionality, because I am relying on ZFS to keep my data free of errors. It does a good job.

Return to “Server Products”