TX100 S3p reports hardware failure

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

Steebs
Product(s): PRIMERGY TX100 S3p

TX100 S3p reports hardware failure

Postby Steebs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 13:41

Hi There,

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I have come to the wrong place.

I have a TX100 as mentioned above, which I am using as a workstation using Windows 7. I have noticed that the machine will halt suddenly and for no apparent reason and display a blue screen ( no not the dreaded BSOD :lol: :lol: ) stating there is a hardware failure and to contact my supplier.

Unfortunately, it doesn't give any hints as to what the error might be, and I cannot seem to find any faults with the machine.

Firstly, is there a way of finding what this so called hardware fault might be. The log in BIOS doesn't say much other that a minor event occurred. I wouldn't call a hardware failure a minor event, and therefore I wold imagine the minor event refers to something else.

The machine was given to me, and it all seems to be in good condition. Internally it is clean and well laid out, with no obvious damage etc.

If anyone can help in any way, I really would appreciate the assistance.

Cheers

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: TX100 S3p reports hardware failure

Postby Davie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 13:48

Firstly, desktop operating systems aren't supported on a server so there will be no Windows 7 drivers available for this - you are probably running Win 2008 R2 drivers which may or may not be compatible with Windows 7

Your BSOD should give a stop code and brief description of the error - for example...

0x000000D1 (DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO)

This stop code and description may help you identify the problem if you put them into Google

Not sure what "log in the BIOS" you are talking about as the TX100 didn't have a hardware event log - only Windows logs would help you though we all know Microsoft love to blame everything on the hardware even if it's a software problem!

My money would be on drivers though

Steebs

Postby Steebs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 14:41

Thanks Davie,

I did mention that the Blue Screen is NOT the traditional Windoze BSOD. I'm currently trying like heck to replicate the problem, but no doubt it'll run fine now for days on end, now that I have asked for any help. As such there is no error codes at all accompanying the blue screen.

I recognise the issues of using Windoze 2008 drivers with Windoze 7. The choice of Operating systems was not mine, but the owner of the machine. I'm Linux through and through, but a Linux Option, hard as I have pushed, is not something the owner wants to entertain. Perhaps I should just install it and tell her is Windoze 11!! :lol:

The machine she bought from a weekend market stall, no doubt being 'swooned' by the stall owner, telling her it was great bargain, that it was the same as an i5 with lots of memory, and he would even throw in the video card for nothing ) Woot an nVidia GT620, could he afford it?? )

I'm the muppet who as her 'only trustworthy PC tech-friend' has been allocated the job of 'getting it going for her'

There appears to be nothing exceptional about the hardware, and therefore in theory at least, the generic driver should be fine. At the end of the day, she is a Silver Surfer, mind you aren't we all heading that way these days, and simply wanted a nice machine for doing online-sy stuff. Skyping family, the odd flash game, emails, photos organisation...and the list goes on.

Once the machine fails again, I'll photograph the results as well as the log entry I referred to in a previous messgae, and I'll post links to the imagery here.

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Postby Davie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 14:52

Understand what you are saying about "generic" drivers .. EXCEPT ....

If you are running the onboard RAID controller then generic drivers won't work - you need the proper LSI driver. If you disable the onboard RAID and run it in AHCI mode instead then you need no drivers

Steebs

Postby Steebs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 17:13

Running AHCI to keep Windoze happy :)

As it happens, the PC gods played into my hands, and a failure occurred. This is the blue screen I refer to. As I said, no indication whatsoever as to what hardware failed.
https://i.imgur.com/tiHeGv3.jpg

Also as mentioned, a screenshot of the smbios even log entry which seems to relate the last startup of the system, and of course what seems to be the point of failure.
https://i.imgur.com/jvUzxzS.jpg

I apologise for the moire patterning on the images. I hope they are clear enough to see.

I have just spent the last 1/2 hour trolling google for information on this event error and nothing. As you can see, it says a minor error, in fact four of them all timestamped fairly close together.

The PC was sitting doing nothing more than the HDD thrashing Windoze tends to insist on. The side of the case is wide open and therefore overheating shouldn't be an issue. In fact again, as I mentioned earlier its spotless inside.

I welcome all input on this, to see if I can get it sorted for her.

Return to “Server Products”