Primergy TX300 S7 won't boot

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

csadam
Product(s): Fujitsu Primergy TX300 S7

Primergy TX300 S7 won't boot

Postby csadam » Wed May 16, 2018 13:02

I've added a network adapter to the white slot (slot 1). I've NOT changed anything in the BIOS. (BIOS Version: V4.6.5.3 R1.29.0 for D2949-A1x)
But the server refused to boot after that. I've removed the card, but it still don't manage to get through the POST phase.

There is only a VGA monitor attached to the server. No keyboard, no pendrive, no additional extension cards (except the dedicated RAID controller in slot 10 and the disks).
The symptoms are the following:
  • The fans and the hard disks spin up.
  • There isn't any picture on the monitor. The iRMC video redirection shows no picture. No beeping.
  • Every component is green in the iRMC.
  • After a while it logs the following to the event log then the server turns itself off. The General Error led starts blinking.
Critical 080099 Watchdog BIOS POST Watchdog - Action: Hard Reset (Post Code: 0x9A) System Hang

Could you please help what should I check/do?

Link_Darck
Product(s): FUJITSU PRIMERGY RX200 S8

Re: Primergy TX300 S7 won't boot

Postby Link_Darck » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:36

Hello and welcome to the club,
My server does the same thing after having updated the bios but the update went very well because after it has started on the bone but after a reboot it remains stuck on the logo and the irmc gives me this error code:

- BIOS POST Watchdog - Action: Hard Reset (Post Code: 0x9A)

This error says usb initialization and that you have to unplug everything in USB but I don't have any usb connected so I don't understand anything

csadam

Postby csadam » Thu Dec 29, 2022 14:49

I can't clearly remember, but it is possible that I've also updated the BIOS before the issue happened.
The good news is that I've solved my issue. It was a special case, I try to explain.

The server had a dual-CPU configuration, and it turned out that one of the CPUs were faulty.
It was not a clear fault, but the CPU acted weird under load. For example the OS was booted fine, and everything worked fine until I've opened a few browser tabs and started youtube videos. After a few minutes, the OS crashed.

I suspect that the faulty CPU corrupted the BIOS during the update. Despite that there were no errors during the update process.

The solution was to rewrite the BIOS (with an older version) with an external eeprom writer. After restoring the BIOS and replacing the faulty CPU, the server was working again. I've never tried to update the BIOS again, because I was afraid of bricking the server again. So it does not have the latest version, but at least it is stable since then.

Link_Darck
Product(s): FUJITSU PRIMERGY RX200 S8

Postby Link_Darck » Fri Dec 30, 2022 17:45

Hello again,
Thank you for your answer but I wanted to know how did you guess which chip to flash because I'm thinking of trying because paying 190€ for a new motherboard will avoid lol

csadam

Postby csadam » Fri Dec 30, 2022 20:57

It is the WinBond 25Q64CVF chip near the DediProg label. I can't remember the link but I downloaded "D2949-A1x - Admin package - Compressed Flash Files" .zip. In this zip file there was a .rom file, that was written into the chip. You can use the DediProg SF-100 adapter or any other flash writer. You just have to figure out how to connect it to the chip.

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Thu Jan 05, 2023 18:41

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Fujitsu Forum Support!

Could you please specify the serial number of the host?
Next point is the network card. It is not clear which card you are mounted there. Was any update preformed on the host? Which operation system is currently running? Which error message appears while POST?
Please provide me with the PrimeCollect log file. The instruction is given under following link:
https://support.ts.fujitsu.com/IndexDow ... 805169D863
Thank you for your attention.

Return to “Server Products”