PRIMERGY TX2540 M1 RAID setup

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

RichieP
Product(s): PRIMERGY TX2540 M1

PRIMERGY TX2540 M1 RAID setup

Postby RichieP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47

Hi there

I'm trying to help set this server up. Basically it has 3 hard drives installed, all showing up in RAID and through the RAID Manager web browser.

I have been asked to set it up so that the 2 hot spare drives show up in Windows, one for storage, the other for backup.

I'm having difficulty doing this. I have enabled the drives to be hot spares through the RAID manager but they won't show up in Device Manager, Disk Management or anywhere in Windows. Previously in other servers I have disabled RAID and they appear but I can't find how to do this on this machine. The SATA option where I would usually do this in the BIOS only has AHCI or IDE, no RAID.

Any help appreciated.

Richie

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: PRIMERGY TX2540 M1 RAID setup

Postby Davie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:51

You cannot have hot spares showing up as single disks. If they are hot spares they are "owned" by the RAID controller to swap into arrays in the event of a disk failure

If you want single disks to be visible to the operating system you will have to delete them as hot spares and instead create them each as a single disk RAID0 .. this will then present to the OS

RichieP

Postby RichieP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did try that, I selected the option for "No redundancy" and it pooled the capacity of all three drives so showed up as one large drive.

So basically, the only way to do what I have been requested to do with this server is put additional hard drives insode the case?

Thanks
Richie

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Postby Davie » Fri Jul 14, 2017 13:00

That sounds like you have made a single RAID0 of all three disks (striping over the volume)

If you make three separate RAID0 volumes, each with one disk in, they you would get three single disks

RichieP

Postby RichieP » Fri Jul 14, 2017 13:07

I was just looking at something like that.

I've gone back to the beginning and booted from the Serverview disk. It gives me the RAID options 0 to 5 but won't let me add each disk individually. For example, if I choose RAID 0 it asks for the number of disks. It doesn't let me add another disk after that.

Return to “Server Products”