Is This PRIMERGY TX150 S7 Done With Its Life( & If Answerable, Possibly Why)?

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

wcmortalis
Product(s): PRIMERGY TX150 S7

Is This PRIMERGY TX150 S7 Done With Its Life( & If Answerable, Possibly Why)?

Postby wcmortalis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:25

Hello everyone, my colleagues recently took one of our PRIMERGY TX150 S7 servers out of the reserve stock, after plugging it nothing happened other than the fan noise. They tried replacing its copponents(CPU, RAM, storage devices etc.) one-by-one but still saw the same result.

Yesterday the D2759 system board was shipped to me so I rebuilt the system with only a Xeon X3450 CPU, one PC3-10600R mempry stick and the power supply(all worked on other machines), trying to boot it but again failed. I noticed one of the LEDs on the corner of the board starts flashing shortly after power-on. According to the server's Technical Manual the orange flashing of that "Global error LED", ”indicates a failure of a non CSS component. Reasons for a failure may be:
- over temperature measured by one of the sensors
- sensor is defective
- CPU error
- software detected an error”, and I had to stop there.

This one was a 2011 purchase so we are absolutely out of anything warranted. I just wonder if at this situation still there's something I can do to get the horse revived. It worked well before once be put to sleep in the storehouse for about 2 months. The board's status is relatively good on appearance, no physical damages observed. Anyone here has any idea to share with me? Your time and kindness is very much appreciated, thank you!

Wang

jofo
Product(s): Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8

Re: Is This PRIMERGY TX150 S7 Done With Its Life( & If Answerable, Possibly Why)?

Postby jofo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41

One possible cause could be bad capacitors on the system board.
Can you see if any of them are deformed or if they have leaked?

wcmortalis

Re: Is This PRIMERGY TX150 S7 Done With Its Life( & If Answerable, Possibly Why)?

Postby wcmortalis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 18:31

jofo wrote:One possible cause could be bad capacitors on the system board.
Can you see if any of them are deformed or if they have leaked?

No, they are in nice cylindrical shapes and none of leaked or broken signs visible. Do you mean one can say that definitely some components of this board are physically damaged? I also tried to find some bent pins from the CPU socket then I was like looking into the whole universe while none seemed to be disarrayed comparing to others.

jofo
Product(s): Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8

Postby jofo » Thu Jan 05, 2017 20:13

It's impossible to say anything definitely.
You can olso try to reset the bios by removing the CMOS battey and leave it out over night and see if that helps.

wcmortalis

Postby wcmortalis » Thu Jan 05, 2017 22:00

jofo wrote:It's impossible to say anything definitely.
You can olso try to reset the bios by removing the CMOS battey and leave it out over night and see if that helps.

You're right, I should be more patient.

Already done that yesterday, didn't change anything. Today I connected the board to a wifi router then logged into the iRMC S2 web server with my laptop to see the logs. It keeps saying 2 lines everytime I plug power to the board:
"
'PSU Connector': FRU Connection Lost
'Ambient': Temperature sensor not present
"
then shortly after shutdown, a new line
"BIOS POST Watchdog - Action: Hard Reset (Post Code: 0x00)"
is added to the top(while the CMOS battery is set).

Well I have to admit they didn't send me the original PSU(to save some shipping cost) so I have to use my own one to do the job, but the voltages should be OK and the iRMC S2's power monitor says so(all green). I'm still reading the server guide and yet have no idea what a FRU connection is, does it come with the original PSU? If so then assuming my colleagues were facing the same problem as I am, had the server's old PSU gone bad? And what about the ambient temperature sensor failure?

Sorry if confusing, just trying to provide as more information as I can, thanks.

Return to “Server Products”