- never ever connect an iRMC direct to the internet, isolate the iRMC and Management Network from the Internet. Use a VPN for accessing iRMC from outside.
- Severely restrict any network access to iRMC, also inside your cooperate network.
- delete default-user "admin" (factory setting) and
- create a new user with a completely different name. No "admin", "admente", "administrator", etc.
- close all incoming open port, like e.g. IPMI Port, Telnet port, HTTP-port and SMNP. That could be done in the iRMC Web-I/F under the Network page.
- the only necessary and open incoming ports to connect to the iRMC, should be HTTPS (Port 443) and SSH (Port 22).
- change the HTTPS Fujitsu default certificate to your own certificate
- Security by Obscurity: change the ports 443 (HTTPS) and 22 (SSH) to other different ports
- change the users password latest every two weeks (best practice will follow)
- for alerting use eMailalerts or remote syslog
More details could be found in: White Paper - Secure PRIMERGY Server Management
Information about IPMI Security in HEISE Newticker (german language): Hunderttausende Server über Fernwartungsprotokolle angreifbar.
If you are more familiar with all the network stuff and with IPMI, the following page could be interesting for you: Dan Farmer - IPMI and Security Dan describes very detailed the problems IPMI and IPMI security.
That's my personal best practice for a good security on BMCs/iRMCs. Please let me know if you have further recommendations.
CU & have nice weekend