Primergy RX 2520 M1 raid controller issue

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

mlsoftware
Product(s): Primergy RX2520 M1

Primergy RX 2520 M1 raid controller issue

Postby mlsoftware » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:41

Hello everybody,

during installation of a Fujitsu Primergy RX 2520 M1 I had an issue with RAID created with integrated controller and 4 SATA disks.

My steps:

- Controller configured in LSI mode
- New Array RAID 10
- Begin installation of Esxi 5.5 (I tried also with 6.0) that didn't find any storage

New test:

- Controller configured in Intel mode
- New Array RAID 5
- Begin installation of Esxi 5.5 (I tried also with 6.0) that find 4 separated HDD and not an array

I suppose that there is an issue with integrated controller. Can someone help me to understand?
If I'm in the right way, can someone tell me controller model that I can use with this server without changing HDD?

Thanks in advance.

Massimo

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: Primergy RX 2520 M1 raid controller issue

Postby me@work » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:55

Please have a look at the ReadMe file that accompanied your ESXi Custom Image download from FTS, and (literally) dozens of identical questions here in this forum (and other internet places as well):

ESXi does NOT (read: NOT) support onboard fake-RAID controllers in RAID configuration.

In order to operate local disks in RAID mode, you need a SUPPORTED SAS-RAID controller card installed in your server.

j.francis
Product(s): RX2520 M1

Postby j.francis » Mon Jan 15, 2018 13:19

Hello;

I have the same problem,I didnt find any Stoarge with LSI mode or physical storages with intel mode,If I installed the ESXI update 3.otherwise if i installed Win2008,I found the the logical drive with Intel mode.
did you mean that the ESXi Vmware is not supported the LSI Raid or Intel Raid.and they are fake software Raid ?
Could you please advice how can I installed Vmare ESXi with activate Raid ?

Thanks.
Joseph francis.

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Mon Jan 15, 2018 13:29

1) Yes, that's what I meant.
2) The second advice was mentioned in the previous text already, too: Install a supported SAS RAID controller card, and hinge the mass storage devices (or backplane) to that additional controller card.

Or you will have to wait (perhaps forever?) until some kind soul finally will make up his/her mind and write appropriate drivers for ESXi.

As you already noticed, "fake-RAID" in these terms relates to the onboard controller chip, and refers to "requires OS-specific software in order to properly operate".

Return to “Server Products”