Megaraid volume disappeared

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

beachmat

Megaraid volume disappeared

Postby beachmat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51

Our Econel 200 S2 decided yesterday it didnt' want to boot any more. I tried replacing the motherboard as we had one of the same model, connected up everything as before, and it started up ok. However when I restarted it again, the RAID 10 volume was gone, and all 4 drives are listed as ready. Is there anything we can do to recover it? And does anyone have any idea why this might have occurred? We are going to replace it anyway, but it would be nice to recover the data.

thanks

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Re: Megaraid volume disappeared

Postby Davie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:55

I have seen embedded MegaRAID volumes get "lost" on old Econels before (usually RAID1 though not RAID10) - and a solution that "sometimes" works is just to recreate the array and NOT initialize it, making the assumption that the data is still valid

If you remember the configuration of the 4 disks in the RAID10 then you could try recreating it and not initialize and see if it boots (of it does you could then run an MDC on it to check the consistency

As I say, no guarantee it works but I HAVE seen it succeed on a RAID1

beachmat

Postby beachmat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:03

Thanks, I will try that. There aren't any issues with the configuration being stored in the bios, or tied to a specific motherboard are there? The configuration should just be picked up from the drives, yes?

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Postby Davie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:04

Yes that should be the case - there is no non-volatile memory for the config to be stored in so the configuration should just be read back from the COD (config on disk)

beachmat

Postby beachmat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:22

Thanks for that useful tip. It worked and saved me hours of hassle. The only thing is that the RAID setting doesn't stick and you have to redo it if you shut the server down.

Return to “Server Products”