Query about Fujitsu RX200 S6 optional PSU ?

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

sembii
Product(s): Fujitsu RX600 S4

Query about Fujitsu RX200 S6 optional PSU ?

Postby sembii » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:16

Hi all,

I have a question about optional PSU on RX200 S6 server. Currently, we have 770 Wt power supply on RX200 S6 server. I have read product datasheet and found that 770W and 450W PSUs are supported. But in following case what will happen?
- Suppose, primay PSU /770 Wt/ failed and server is working with only 450 Wt one PSU. Is there any effect in system performance?
- If I choose 650 Wt or higher PSU as a optional PSU, what is the effect on system?

IMHO, it's ok if I choose 450 Wt PSU as a optional PSU. But maybe system performance can be decreased during failover condition. 770+ Wt PSU cannot be used in RX200 S6 server, that's right?

Please share your practices.

Thanks

gginerc
Product(s): C620, W530,

Re: Query about Fujitsu RX200 S6 optional PSU ?

Postby gginerc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58

Hi,
not an expert on that but some obvious considerations. The question it's not just about performance it's also about keep the server on or not. You'll agree that you could load a server with many HD, GPGPU or whatever and the power consumption will not be the same in each case. If you only have a couple of HD on your RX200 S6 you can work fine with a 450W PSU but if you plan to use all the HD or installs something with a great power consumption (I'm thinking for exemple on a highend GPGPU that can use 150 to 250W for it's own) you will probably have not enough power with just one 450W PSU and that will overcome on some nice stops on the server cause of fail power problems.
Imagine then some redundancy cases, a server with some pick consumptions of 500W and your exemple, one 450W and one 770W PSU. You will have power enough to run the server and somekind of failover protection. You could handle the fail of the 450W PSU with no problem but possible you will have a great problem on the 770W PSU fail cause the 450W has no power enough to run the server in some moments. Think that a server not always have the same power consumption, more load, more power comsumption. That will overcome on a server stop not just a performance issue. You can use iRMC console on your server to see real time power consumption on your server in order to have a good idea of which it's the appropiate PSU or PSUs needed for your server. Obviously look that on a heavy load scenario, then balance the money you can spend on that and fail over tolerance you want to implement and you'll have the answer to your question.

Hope that helps you,

Guillermo Giner
Fujitsu's Select Partner

sembii
Product(s): Fujitsu RX600 S4

Postby sembii » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:45

Hi Guillermo Giner,

Thanks for your reply. Your right man. First I need to analyze power consumption for some time period. So I can determine max and min power consumption of the server. After that our puzzle will be clear.

Thanks

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Sat Nov 21, 2015 18:13

Just in case someone might ever happen to stumble across this thread (like I recently did):

sembii wrote:IMHO, it's ok if I choose 450 Wt PSU as a optional PSU.

NO, THIS IS NOT OK!
(if like you mentioned there is a 770W first PSU installed in your RX200s6 already)

Please check the CAUTION! here:
A mix of both types is not allowed and might cause damage.

Return to “Server Products”