TX140 S2 and VSp/ESXi 5.1/5.5

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

josip
Product(s): Primergy, Lifebook, Eternus

TX140 S2 and VSp/ESXi 5.1/5.5

Postby josip » Fri Nov 29, 2013 19:13

Datasheet says it's supported.
released_drivers-TX140-S2.zip cannot be downloaded.
released_drivers.zip contains no data for TX140 S2.
ESXi5.5 doesn't recognize hdd's connected to onboard SATA controller in RAID mode.
Vmware site says TX140 S2 is fine - without any relevant comments.

Any hints?

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Re: TX140 S2 and VSp/ESXi 5.1/5.5

Postby me@work » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:09

As previously stated repatedly over and over again, vSphere did not, does not, and probably will never support Fake-RAID controllers.

Please also have a look at the datasheet you mentioned, page 3/9, bottom:

4 port for internal SATA HDDs with RAID 0, 1, 10 for Windows and Linux;

If you wish to operate internal disks in RAID mode, you need to fit a vSphere supported SAS RAID controller.
If your VMs are located on shared storage, then you might want to omit internal disks completely, and fit a USB Flash Module just to load the vSphere hypervisor.

And BTW:
If you load VMware's original installation media, you won't get usable NICs. And even with Fujitsu's Custom Image, only one of the two onboard NICs is supported.

josip
Product(s): Primergy, Lifebook, Eternus

Postby josip » Mon Dec 02, 2013 18:38

Fake or not, in configurator it doesn't say which controller is fake and which is not...
Only now, the new SysArch database enables me to configure vsphere with that server, and now with only one note saying somehing like "VM's are not supported on SATA HDD's"... says nothing about RAID controllers...

Secondly... Machine is delivered with ST2000NM0033 that is not mentioned on released_hdd.xls document!??!!? Can't really check if it's released for that (or any other) server and if the firmware is right!

Thirdly... As I said: On Fujitsu's support->driver_download web page it is not possible to download file called "PRIMERGY release matrix released drivers TX140-S2"... it says "550 CWD failed. No permission."...

Fourthly... There's no vmware listed on driver download page as an option... don't really know where to acquire those network driver elsewhere for esxi 5.1/5.5?

me@work
Product(s): Scaleo Pi2662, Primergy

Postby me@work » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48

I can't argue about the presentation on Fujitsu's websites, sorry.

vSphere is not listed for TX140s2 because this combination still is not officially released. You need to download the Custom Installation Image by selecting a different (supported) server type, like RX300s8. The same image version is always be the same for every system. (So far, that is.)
There are no separate driver downloads available at Fujitsu's websites for vSphere. You either have to use FTS's Custom Image (or Offline Bundle), or visit VMware's website for drivers.

Return to “Server Products”