Installing F/W & Driver updates

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

WinSvrAdmin
Product(s): Primergy MX130 S2

Installing F/W & Driver updates

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 17:35

Is there any software which can be installed on a Primergy MX130 S2 that will scan it for installed firmware and drivers and then provide a way to download and install any available updates? This would be like the HP ProLiant Support Pack or the Dell Server Update Utilities.

Jonathan
Jonathan

jflanigan
Product(s): 4 x TX200 S5
2 x MX130 S2

Re: Installing F/W & Driver updates

Postby jflanigan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20

I would be interested in this too.

John

Davie
Product(s): PRIMERGY, ServerView

Postby Davie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41

There is an ISO on the FTP site at ftp://ftp.ts.fujitsu.com/images/serverview/ of the ServerView Update DVD - this would allow you to create a bootable DVD that will scan your hardware and offer latest versions of BIOS, firmware etc (obviously not drivers though as it is OS independent)

The current version is UPDATE_DVD_111304_05.iso (V11.13.04, April 2013) - this is updated every month or two depending on release schedules

jflanigan
Product(s): 4 x TX200 S5
2 x MX130 S2

Postby jflanigan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54

This is excellent news. Thanks Davie!

WinSvrAdmin

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 14:17

Thank you for that information. I just wish it could do its work while booted into Windows as do the similar tools for HP and Dell servers. As it is, it's too impractical since the server belongs to a remote client so booting from a disc isn't possible in this case. Again, thanks.
Jonathan

Davie

Postby Davie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 14:23

There are full-blown (but free) components of ServerView operations manager that will assist with updates and inventory maintenance

Update manager, a component of SVOM will let you know exactly when there are updates available

WinSvrAdmin

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 18:43

Davie wrote:There are full-blown (but free) components of ServerView operations manager that will assist with updates and inventory maintenance

Update manager, a component of SVOM will let you know exactly when there are updates available

I have tried 3 times to download that iso from the ftp site. Every time it acts like it completed successfully but it doesn't. The resulting iso is only half the size of what is on the ftp site so I know that many files are missing from it even though it let's me mount the iso (Server 2012). When I mount it, there are folders named Firmware, framework, isolinux, Manuals, and Tools. I've been through all of them and didn't find anything helpful that wasn't already existing as separate downloads in the Support site download area.

I did download any file dealing with updates for this model of server from the support website and installed them but I haven't found a way to use any of them to scan the hardware and tell me what firmware or driver updates are needed. They were all in the Server Management Software category under the ServerView subcategories. Of course the gadgets wouldn't work since this is Server 2012.

So I'm back at square one trying to find some way of running something within Windows that will scan the installed hardware and tell me what firmware and drivers need updating.
Jonathan

Davie

Postby Davie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45

Jonathon - you seem to have misunderstood something I said.

The ISO image of the update DVD is for creating a bootable DVD which will scan the hardware and show what needs updating in terms of BIOS and firmware. This is however obviously independent of OS as it is a bootable CD, and therefore can't check drivers and applications etc - just hardware components

As I stated earlier, there is no OS package that does exactly what you describe but the update manager component of ServerView Operations manager will look after BIOS, firmware as well as drivers and some FJ specific applications of a running server. But it is a component of the whole ServerView suite - there is no self-contained program which does what you ask

WinSvrAdmin

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 18:32

Davie wrote:Jonathon - you seem to have misunderstood something I said.

The ISO image of the update DVD is for creating a bootable DVD which will scan the hardware and show what needs updating in terms of BIOS and firmware. This is however obviously independent of OS as it is a bootable CD, and therefore can't check drivers and applications etc - just hardware components

As I stated earlier, there is no OS package that does exactly what you describe but the update manager component of ServerView Operations manager will look after BIOS, firmware as well as drivers and some FJ specific applications of a running server. But it is a component of the whole ServerView suite - there is no self-contained program which does what you ask

I did understand what you said about the bootable DVD, though this is what I'm having a hard time downloading. The file size on the site says 5GB but when the download finishes, it is 2.5GB. And even though I can mount the iso to look through it, I really have to wonder if it's all there since the size of the file I get is much smaller than what it says it is on the FTP site.

As for the rest of it, I'm confused by your description. What is the ServerView Operations manager? Is this what the DVD is? If so, then I don't understand your description since on the one hand you say the DVD/iso only updates hardware components whereas the update manager components of the ServerView Operations manager will look after BIOS, firmware, drivers, and some FJ applications. What do you mean when you say it will "look after" those components? Does it just give you a summary of what is there? Or does it provide a way of updating those components.

If the ServerView Operations manager which is part of the ServerView suite is not what is on that bootable DVD that you create from the iso, then where is it available?

My main concern right now is not the BIOS, but rather the drivers and firmware for controllers and network cards that are installed in the server.

I can't say I'm terribly impressed with Fujitsu after working with HP and Dell. The latter have a good system worked out to keep things updated. Have to burn a DVD and boot from it every time to update firmware, etc is not a very efficient way of doing things in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I am appreciative of any help you can provide. I have no experience with Fujitsu software so it's a total learning process. I just happen to think that Fujitsu's process is not the best.
Jonathan

Davie

Postby Davie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:17

I can't comment on the problems you have had with the download but it does sound as if you aren't getting the whole ISO. I have downloaded it OK but I know there can be bandwidth problems at times which are still being addressed

Does seem a little harsh though that you are critical or "not terribly impressed" with the products when you freely admit you are new to the products and don't know what the various components are

I'll try to explain again. The DVD that you are having trouble downloading, is known as the UPDATE DVD. This is a tool primarily intended for bare-metal updates, or often carried by field engineers to update whole HARDWARE systems in one go. It is used to bring BIOS and firmwares up to date, regardless of operating systems. Often used to bring brand new systems up to date before starting to install an OS (for example the server may have been sat in the channel for 2-3 months since leaving the factory and there could be BIOS or firmware updates released since the server left the factory

As for "run time" management, the whole Serverview suite is divided into different areas:

1) ServerView Installation Manager (SVIM) - this is the DVD that you get with every server; a bootable CD that will assist with installing Operating systems and which supplies all the required drivers and optional software packages to a scripted and unattended installation. This DVD is not available for download as it contains a licensable Microsoft boot loader

2) ServerView Agents - these are the SNMP agents installed on a working operating system (by default after a SVIM installation) that monitor your hardware. Data gatherers effectively, though the Agents package does include a small systray utility monitor to show the health status of your server at a top level glance; package also includes diagnostic tools such as PRIME Collect which gathers together a lot of log files into one ZIP file which makes it easy for you to email that to Fujitsu support in the event of a problem

3) ServerView Operations Manager (SVOM): This is a web based graphical front end utility which receives the data collected by the Agents and displays it in a graphical format. SVOM also is responsible for receiving hardware alerts (generated by the Agents) and logging, forwarding and acting on those events (filtering, generating emails etc). SVOM contains various sub components for displaying real time data of the server hardware, fans, temperatures, PSUs etc, as well as RAID monitoring, plus it also includes other components for inventory management, asset management, performance management etc - and UPDATE management. SVOM is not quite an enterprise level management system such as CA Unicenter or HP OpenView though it will integrate into those systems. It is more on a par with (perhaps HP Network Node Manager) or whatever the Dell equivalent is

The Update Management component will monitor all the servers in your estate and watch the download site to see if any new releases are made - then offer to install any updates that are available

To be perfectly honest, the WHOLE SVOM suite is perhaps a little overkill for a single server installation - "perhaps" more suited for a larger environment. Personally if I was managing a single server environment I would probably just have the Agents and RAID management components installed, and manually update things like BIOS, iRMC firmware (if applicable) and RAID controller firmware. These are the 3 components most likely to need updating. Individual updates can be downloaded from the download site and for things like BIOS or RAID updates and usually are now available as Windows ASP packages so the BIOS (for example) can be updated from Windows (though a reboot is required afterwards to establish the new BIOS). Offline updates are also available to make bootable media to update BIOSs etc but generally easier to update from Windows

ServerView agents, SVOM and RAID management are all available on the ServerView CDs that you should have received with your server, though the download site is the best place to get them as you are guaranteed the latest versions

Hopefully this explains things a little clearer

WinSvrAdmin

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 14:43

Thank you so much for taking the time and considerable effort to explain all of that. That is a -tremendous- help.

While all of this may seem overkill to keep one server updated, to me it is not. I don't own this server, but I work for a small IT shop that manages servers and workstations for many various clients. As such, it is our responsibility to maintain that equipment. Because of our workload and trying be as efficient as possible, we try to keep onsite visits to a minimum. So making a trip to customer sites to install updates is counterproductive for us. That is why we do everything remotely as much as we possibly can. With HP and Dell servers it is no problem as they each have an update management system you install on the server which scans the system, shows you which firmware or drivers (including BIOS) are out of date and wth just a matter of a few mouseclicks, you have those updates started. This is what I have been trying to find for the Fujitsu server. And even though right now we have only one client with a Fujitsu server, we may have future customers who also have a Fujitsu server.

From your excellent description, it appears that the update component of the SVOM is what would fit our needs. I did see that along with the agents on the download site. I've installed the agents, including the update agents and I was able to run one of the components that let me view information though that is all I could do, view. And there is an entry for the SVOM on the download site. But it is a gadget which can't be used with Server 2012 so I don't know why it's there when you filter by 2012 as the OS and I don't understand why it's "certified for use with 2012" as indicated by the green check mark. If you read the associated pdf file, it tells you it's only for Vista or Windows 7. So as far as I can see, there is no SVOM for Server 2012, so from my viewpoint, I am still out of luck for any update management software.
Jonathan

Davie

Postby Davie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 14:51

Which "filters" are you using on the download site? Which PRIMERGY server and which operating system?

The download you want for SVOM is entitled Operations Manager (ServerView S2) - the bit in parentheses is the old name for the product

From what you've described you've only installed the ServerView Agents (and update agents) - Update Manager is a component of Operations Manager. The "widget" you describe sounds more like the little systray app which as I mentioned previously IS only a "view" app to show a simple health status overview

WinSvrAdmin

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 15:51

Davie wrote:Which "filters" are you using on the download site? Which PRIMERGY server and which operating system?

The download you want for SVOM is entitled Operations Manager (ServerView S2) - the bit in parentheses is the old name for the product

From what you've described you've only installed the ServerView Agents (and update agents) - Update Manager is a component of Operations Manager. The "widget" you describe sounds more like the little systray app which as I mentioned previously IS only a "view" app to show a simple health status overview

I have it set to show downloads for a Primergy MX130 S2. On the downloads page, I have the boxes checked to show downloads only for supported operating systems and show detailed operating system tree. Then under Windows Server 2012, I have selected Windows Server 2012 Essentials which is what this server is running.

I then expanded the Server Management Software section and all of its subsections. There is an Operations Manager subsection and all that's in it is the gadget titled Operations Manager (ServerView S2) Status Gadget. I tried changing the OS in the filter from 2012 to 2008 R2 and I can now see another piece of software Operations Manager (ServerView S2). So apparently the software you're referring to isn't available for Server 2012. Too bad.

On the positive side, the owner of the server who is somewhat of a techie, had downloaded the iso from the ftp site and will take it upon himself to burn it to a DVD and boot off it. He is going to call me and we'll walk through it together to see if that DVD contains any updates for his hardware though I know it won't contain any OS-specific bits. But if it updates anything, that will be a step in the right direction.

I can only hope that Fujitsu gets going and updates their Operations Manager software to support Server 2012.
Jonathan

Davie

Postby Davie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:12

For some reason, SVOM isn't listed under 2012 Essentials but I see no reason why it shouldn't be

I don't usually tick the "detailed operating system tree" box - just select Server 2012 (rather than the specific flavour of 2012) and SVOM is listed there.

Release notes on the download page say nothing about Essentials not being supported

WinSvrAdmin

Postby WinSvrAdmin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:58

Davie wrote:For some reason, SVOM isn't listed under 2012 Essentials but I see no reason why it shouldn't be

I don't usually tick the "detailed operating system tree" box - just select Server 2012 (rather than the specific flavour of 2012) and SVOM is listed there.

Release notes on the download page say nothing about Essentials not being supported

Okay I see what you mean. But I am leery of downloading and installing it. When I click on the Download button, the page that comes up has an OS section. Server 2012 isn't listed. Then I click the Maximize Operating System button and Server 2012 is there including Datacenter, Standard, and Foundation. 2011 Essentials is also listed, but not 2012 Essentials. Essentials does have bits that Datacenter, Standard, and Foundation don't. And since it's specifically NOT listed, I have to believe there's a reason. I will try to contact Fujitsu about this to see what they say. But I cannot afford to prang a client's server with a piece of software that is listed as being for every version BUT theirs.
Jonathan

Return to “Server Products”