TX100 S3p fail after CPU upgrade

PRIMERGY, SPARC Enterprise Server, PRIMEFLEX, PRIMEPower, BS2000

Moderator: ModTeam

Steebs
Product(s): PRIMERGY TX100 S3p

TX100 S3p fail after CPU upgrade

Postby Steebs » Mon Mar 20, 2023 15:21

Hi Guys,
I hope that this is not a revisit from someone else. I dod browse everywhere and in frustration opted to just write.

Long story short, I was given the above PC ( more correctly, yes, Server). He bought it, some moron tried to install Win7, wouldn't work, told friend "its because a server not a home PC" From that discussion on, it becasme my problem.

I sat on it for a while, then decided I would make a workstation of it. Running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, it ran quite well, that is, until I started asking a bit much of it.

I read up on the spces and found it only had the E3-1220-V2 ( 4C, 4T) processor. I figured the machine cost me nothing, so I'd grab some preloved bits for it and give it an upgrade. The 8GB to 32GB RAM upgrade went well, and certainly assisted with giving the PC some 'breathing space'. The next....well... not so great. I scored a E3-1240-V2 processor (4C, 8T) running a tiny bit faster than the original ( 3.4GHz vs 3.0GHz), and proceeded to fot that. This is where it all went Pete-Tong. Just to clear up a little, the Processor Heat spreader was spotless, but the heatsink was covered with compound that I thin Adam may have added, it was that old and hard. After around 30 minutes of scraping away the majority ( plastic scraper, don't worry), I finished up by scrubbing with IPA to remove the rest. Result, a sparkling \clean heatsink. After a quick pat on the back, and a respectable coating of fresh (arctic silver) Heatsink compound, I carefully reassembled everything and hit the power switch.

Fully expecting the usual boot up display (POST) I was bitterly disappointed only to be greeted by a single beep at regular intervals, probably 1 to 1.5 seconds apart. Scrambling for my laptop I scoured teh internet for any information i could. I mean MOST companies have BIOS been codes happily displayed on their site. Sadly, not Fujitsu. So heading back to my old school dyas, I went through the usual proces of disconnecting everything and re-connecting one bit at a time, applying power in between and checking for differences. There were none...zippo...nada... Still the same old single beep. In dread, I removed the nice chiny new CPU and put the old one back, fully expecting that the new one was a dud, and that the machine would burst back into life, completely forgiving me for messing with its internals. Er,... wrong again. Beeps, 1 to 1.5 seconds apart.

So. I now turn to you, my brothers from the greater world, and ask for any advice, or perhaps even a copy of said beep codes (already been to Bioscentral et al).

In closing, I do have experience as a PC tech, although I haven't tinkered anywhere near as much these days as I used to. I'm not a Linux afficianado but I know enough to get around. Besides, who in their right might would use that Windoze garbage??

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who didn't fall asleep getting through this epic post.

Cheers
Steve

Ask Fujitsu
Product(s): n/a

Re: TX100 S3p fail after CPU upgrade

Postby Ask Fujitsu » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:22

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Fujitsu!
We kindly advise you to test the CPU in another device if possible.

Unfortunately, we do not have a list with beep codes.
Please note that PRIMERGY TX100 S3p is out of life for a long time and is no longer supported.

Best regards,
Fujitsu Forum Support

Return to “Server Products”