Celcius W530 runnign 3 (more) monitors question

Fujitsu Displays, AMILO Display, SCENICVIEW, SCALEOVIEW, etc.

Moderator: ModTeam

RobMcP
Product(s): WW530 x 4 Various ower spec machines + Primergy TX150 server

Celcius W530 runnign 3 (more) monitors question

Postby RobMcP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 15:04

Currently running several Celcius W530 workstations ( plus other workstation versions too) they all have 2 x Samsung 24" VGA / DVI monitors attached in pairs res = 1920 x 1200 . One monitor for site / app development and one running site front ends or apps.

I want to add a 3rd monitor (I do want to run other apps, so it's not a mirror of the other(s) ). I know that on the W530 tech sheet several 'High end' PCIe cards are mentioned (£400 - £600 range, pricy for several machines)

Is there anyone out there who has set up a workstation to run 3 or more monitors?

Can anyone recommend a Graphics card that is less than that range?

Latest specs seem to push for HDMI cards but all our monitors are DVI or VGA we use the DVI as inputs. So looking for a reasonably priced card
Hint/suggestions.
Thanks in advance

Tom_A
Product(s): ESPRIMO Q920

Re: Celcius W530 runnign 3 (more) monitors question

Postby Tom_A » Fri Jan 06, 2017 15:14

Have you considered using the Fujitsu Port Replicator (PR08) with Displaylink ?

It uses an USB3 input and gives you an extra DVI and DP output for triple monitor support.
I can probably add a 4th display but I have not tested it.

RobMcP
Product(s): WW530 x 4 Various ower spec machines + Primergy TX150 server

Postby RobMcP » Fri Jan 06, 2017 16:47

Thanks, what a curious item, I've never heard of it. Are you saying I can use this to drive 3/4 monitors instead of using a graphics card for the purpose?

Will it run three separate sessions / programs on the workstation?

Call me old fashioned but what are the pros and cons of this compared to a graphics card?
McP.

Tom_A
Product(s): ESPRIMO Q920

Postby Tom_A » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08

Thanks, what a curious item, I've never heard of it. Are you saying I can use this to drive 3/4 monitors instead of using a graphics card for the purpose?

That's what is advertised and is what you get. The port replicator actually contains a graphics chipset which drives the display, named DisplayLink (DL3900).

Will it run three separate sessions / programs on the workstation?

I use it at work with DVI and DP from the Esprimo Q920 and DP output from the port replicator. It runs flawlessly Notepad and Chrome on screen #1. Chrome, OneNote, Excel and Skype on screen #2 and Word, Outlook and a database software on screen #3. I can certainly plug in a 4th monitor on the extra DVI-I port but I don't have any more space on my desk :( .

Call me old fashioned but what are the pros and cons of this compared to a graphics card?

It's not the same as the powerful Nvidia or AMD processor so it could have some issues with complex DirectX 3D applications (according to a review by notebookcheck).
The device really is designed to extend connectivity and extend the desktop for the office user.

ps: you can see how it works on the Displaylink website, it's quite a nifty tool, basically the dp chipset is like a modem, piping the raw pixels via the USB data link with some form of optimization in the frame buffer to minimize latency: http://www.displaylink.com/small-office/how

Return to “Displays”