Scaleo 600 cooling fans anomaly

All topics related to PC
1_NGL

Scaleo 600 cooling fans anomaly

Postby 1_NGL » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:02

Hello, everybody.<P>I've just bought a 2nd-hand Scaleo 600 with the AMD Athlon XP2100+ CPU, a 512 MB RAM and a 120 GB HD by Maxtor.<P>Everything considered, the pc works pretty smoothly, even with the WXPHome it originally came with. I'm considering to upgrade to a WXPPro as soon as possible... but this is another tale, and I'm here for another issue.<P>That is, the cooling fans. I mean: what about the fact they *never* stop? (This is my first Fujitsu-Siemens so I've even taken into account the possibility of simply being unaccustomed to something they, at Fujitsu, use to adopt as a specific engineering criterion of their own: anyway, should this be the case, it would seem quite a strange criterion to me Image)<P>Actually, for what I can see, this is the only issue I have with the pc: but it's a nasty one, since the Scaleo is as *noisy* as it was the engine room of an old, twin turbines supertanker on which I've sailed a long ago.<P>So here are my questions: in your opinion, must the fans work *always*, or should they on the contrary stop at least once in a while, like I tend to think?<P>In this latter case, what do you believe to be the reason(s) of such a malfunctioning (thermal sensor broken / some bug in the current BIOS / some bug in the OS / what else?) and how do you think I could fix it?<P>Thank you in advance Image<p>[This message has been edited by 1_NGL (edited 01 October 2005).]

1_NGL

Re: Scaleo 600 cooling fans anomaly

Postby 1_NGL » Sat Oct 01, 2005 21:57

I add some more details to my previous post.<P>1. actually the very first problem to fix is the noise. I figure that a new fan, capable of extracting more or less as much heat quantity per second as the current one, but **much more silent**, would already be a great improvement. What do you think about it?<P>2. the second problem is the fact that this Scaleo actually does never go into the standby mode: quite the opposite of a second pc of mine (a Compaq Evo d310v) which btw is much more silent in every situation. <P>I mean: even when you put it in standby, it seemingly goes into it, but the CPU fan keeps on working, with all the noisy consequences one can imagine. <P>Of course, even in the case the designers at Fujitsu-Siemens should have chosen to let the fans constantly work, this latter point could easily be fixed by substituting the current fan with a much more silent one.<P>Anyway, I ask: is this behavior natural, or should I consider it a pathology? And in this case, what should I do to fix it?<P>Thank you again Image<p>[This message has been edited by 1_NGL (edited 02 October 2005).]

1_NGL

Re: Scaleo 600 cooling fans anomaly

Postby 1_NGL » Mon Oct 03, 2005 20:49

...almost forgettin'...<P>The mainboard is a MSI K7T266 Pro2 (MS-6380) Image

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”