Network BIOS Updates

All topics related to PC
JohnGale

Network BIOS Updates

Postby JohnGale » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:56

I have 20,000 PC's to either build from scratch or migrate to XP over the next couple of months and which I am rolling out using the Altiris Deployment Solution.<P>As we do not want to have to boot any of the machines into WIndows for the migrations to update the BIOS or have an engineer touch every machine, I have created a script which enables us to check the model number and BIOS version of the PC and where required deploy the correct BIOS updates via the network using PXE boot, ie in a DOS environment. This works very well with one exception. The BIOS update utility initiates an automatic reboot 5 seconds after the BIOS update completes and as a result we cannot generate an exit code to tell Deployment Server of a success or failure. As a result the job cannot continue on to the next task which is to re-imaging the PC as Deployment Server believes it is still running the script to update the BIOS.<P>We need to be able to initiate the reboot via Deployment Server. I have looked at the available switches for Bioflash.exe and there does not appear to be a noreboot switch available. Is there an alternative version of the Bioflash.exe which either does not force the reboot or accepts a noreboot switch.<P>Thanks<P>John

Juggernaut

Re: Network BIOS Updates

Postby Juggernaut » Thu Sep 08, 2005 20:53

I think there is a switch which tells not to reboot.<P>On the other hand, for such massive ammounts of PCs FSC has an dedicated solution for BIOS flash over the net, without interaction. I guess its integrated into Deskview. I'll have a look tomorrow...

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:11

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juggernaut:<BR><B>On the other hand, for such massive ammounts of PCs FSC has an dedicated solution for BIOS flash over the net, without interaction. I guess its integrated into Deskview. I'll have a look tomorrow...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, you said under DOS. So Deskview would be no option.<P>Anyway, I am sure I once saw such an option work, perhaps try parameters like "/norestart", "/noreboot" or "/noreset".

JohnGale

Postby JohnGale » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:53

Juggernault, Thanks you very much - the switch is /noreset and works a treat.<P>Just out of interest you can use the FSC utility to flash the BIOS while in Windows via Deployment Server as well. However when building/migrating 300 machines a day, the last thing you want to have to do is boot the machine to Windows first as this would take an additional 300x5mins or 25 hours in total. This way its a case of switch the machine on, boot to PXE, BIOS version is checked automatically and updated if necessary and machine rebooted by Deployment Server and the image deployed also by Deployment Server. We can now do this in under 7.5 mins with a 1.5Gb image.<P>I now have a script which runs via the Altiris Deployment Servers which allows me where required to flash the BIOS on any Fujitsu-Siemens workstation or laptop while in DOS via the network. It uses filters from within the Deployment Server job to select the correct task to flash the BIOS for any model, having checked first if the BIOS needs updating. I was going to post the script here for this but found that the forum does not allow DOS scripts so I guess you will have to work it out for yourselves, either that or go to the Altiris forum and post a message there which I can then reply too and which can be found at <A HREF="http://www.altiris.com/support/main.asp" TARGET=_blank>http://www.altiris.com/support/main.asp</A> <P>John

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Mon Sep 12, 2005 13:44

Glad to hear it helped Image

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”