bios password in PCD-4G

All topics related to PC
schwebbe

bios password in PCD-4G

Postby schwebbe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:38

hi everybody, i've just registered here to ask this one question, as i haven't found anything anywhere else :'-(<P>a freind gave me an old siemens PCD-4G as a gift, as i'm a little interested in old computers. but with this machine, i'm getting nervous.<P>a bios password was set up. anyone knows it. and i cannot find any jumper, DIP-switch or battery to short-circuit. i searched these forums here and the whole web up and down. please, does anyone here have a clue? that would be really great!<P>greetz<BR>schwebbe

Juggernaut

Re: bios password in PCD-4G

Postby Juggernaut » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:08

That is an ancient mainboard. See if it has an clock chip (often has the text "Dallas" on it), if it does then look on google how to reset CMOS or write the chip type here.

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:41

hi!<P>yes, "dallas" was found! its type is:<P>DALLAS<BR>DS12887<BR>REALTIME<BR>9234A1 025534<P>this chip has to be resetted? huh, i'd never found that out myself. how has it to be done?<P>greetz<BR>schwebbe

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Sun Sep 04, 2005 14:37

i found some sources<BR> <A HREF="http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html</A> <A HREF="http://forums.dealnews.com/read.php?2,1917690" TARGET=_blank>http://forums.dealnews.com/read.php?2,1917690</A> <A HREF="http://www.epower2go.biz/dalfaq.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.epower2go.biz/dalfaq.html</A> <P>seems that i have no other chance than removing the chip, right? damn, it is fixed on the board, no socket...

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Sun Sep 04, 2005 19:14

Unfortunately unsoldering it and replacing it seems to be the only option. Sorry!

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:58

well, as it is not socketed, i have no chance to remove it... what a pitty...

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 15:05

well, i asked my friend again, he really cannot remember.<P>does anyone know which board was used to build these computers? i cannot find a serial number or type description or something like that. i cannot imagine there is no jumper, i think i just can't find it. anyone who knows where to get manuals or something else? please, i don't want to take it to the "cemetary"... :'-(<P>greetz<BR>schwebbe

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Mon Sep 05, 2005 17:37

It is made by Siemens, called "D674". And I am afraid that there is no jumper on this mainboard, as there is no way it would work. The chip contains both battery and CMOS memory, so you could only clear the cmos memory if the chip has some way to do so. And this is not the case Image

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Wed Sep 07, 2005 13:31

mh, but the question is: IS there really no jumper? there are many jumpers on the board, but the despcriptions are really cryptic like "X21" and i cannot imagine what this jumpers are doing. do you know where i could get manuals or datasheets? maybee this could help...

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:40

Well, I did not find any manuals or anything for the board. But Lo and Behold: I managed to pull one of these ancient buggers out of a rear corner of a storage room Image<P>So if you really have the "mainboard" (actually more of a Slot CPU card looking like an ISA card) called "D674" then there indeed is a Jumper on it which will make you happy. <P>I was correct in assuming that there is no CMOS clear jumper, but what the jumper that I saw does is even more interesting to you: The jumper is located in the upper right corner area. It is labelled "SKIP". And now guess what it does? It skips the password check function Image<P>Simply set the jumper to "on" and start the PC. Enter Setup. The password should be cleared now. Shut down and set the jumper to off again.<P>My fault was that I didn't take into account that the whole password function of the BIOS can be disabled via a jumper or switch on all Siemens/Siemens Nixdorf/FSC Mainboards. I assumed these old boards dont have that function, yet. Sorry for urging you to give up much too early...<P>The idea behind this jumper, I guess, is that if someone has physical access to the mainboard he is the rightful owner and has the right to remove the password. If this is not wanted by the owner of the system then the case will be physically locked.<P>But anyway, it comes in _very_ handy in case some user forgets the password...<p>[This message has been edited by Juggernaut (edited 09 September 2005).]

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Mon Sep 12, 2005 18:49

WHOOO-HA!!<P>thank you SO MUCH!! you don't have to besorry for anything (i don't think people here are asked "ancient questions" every day)!!<P>thank you, thank you, thank you, a thousand times!!<P>GREAT!!<P>(ok, enough screaming on the board, huh?)<P>greetz<BR>schwebbe

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:28

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by schwebbe:<BR><B>WHOOO-HA!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Soooo... does that mean it worked?<P>

schwebbe

Postby schwebbe » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:52

yeah, e-xact-ly!!<P>damn, cool!! old-style DOS/WIN 3.11, i feel really "antiqu" myself while booting...<P><BR>thanks once again & big greetz<P>schwebbe

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”