Upgrade - how much can i upgrade my computer?

All topics related to PC
FDW

Upgrade - how much can i upgrade my computer?

Postby FDW » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:02

I have a old Scenic 560 PIII 500, with 10GB HD, 192MB RAM and a second 40GB HD.<P>What is the fastes CPU I can install?<BR>Does the BIOS support hard drives bigger than 40GB, if so how large disk can I install?<BR>How much more RAM can I install?<P>Does anybody know?<BR>Please help me!<BR>

Binary

Re: Upgrade - how much can i upgrade my computer?

Postby Binary » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:30

You fail to mention what motherboard is inside. And this info is crucial in determining what components can be used in upgrading. You should be able to find most of the required info in the motherboard manual.<BR>The maximum harddisk size is determined by the BIOS. Sometimes an update helps to increase the maximum, but in your case 32 GB is probably tops. An alternative is using a Disk Management program (like MaxBlast if you use a Maxtor disk) that allows useing disk of even 120 GB or more, independent of the BIOS. Or you can use a separate PCI Controller that does more or less the same.

Juggernaut

Postby Juggernaut » Tue Sep 16, 2003 14:41

Here you can read how to find out mainboard type:<BR> <A HREF="/talk2/ubb-files/Forum1/HTML/001994.html" TARGET=_blank>/talk2/ubb-files/Forum1/HTML/001994.html</A>

Magerram

Postby Magerram » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:36

The maximum installed processor you can<BR>use is the PIII-550 (But if you will find the Slot-Socket adapter you also can install PIII-650 processor).<BR>About HDD - 120Gb.<BR>What about memory: You can install up to 512 Mb if you have 3 or 4 memory slots.<P>

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”