Scaloo 600 problems

All topics related to PC

Scaloo 600 problems

Postby » Sat Jun 21, 2003 17:56

I have a Scaleo 600, with 256Mb SDRAM, 64 Mb nVidia GeForce 4 220 Mx and Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz processor. But for some reason many of recent games, although are supposed to work according to system requirements, keep on stuttering and running with inadequate speed (C&C Generels I have to run with lowest details for good speed)<BR>I Have both windows XP Proffecional and Win 98 SE. Anyone has any suggestions about what can I do to improve game preformance?<BR>I will Appreciate it greatly, <BR>Regards.

Juggernaut

Re: Scaloo 600 problems

Postby Juggernaut » Sun Jun 22, 2003 0:36

Is that a 3D game? A Geforce 4 MX is not what one would actually call a fast 3D card...

Recercare

Postby Recercare » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:03

Remove all background applications (msconfig).<P>Set desktop appearance to "performance"<P>Use less virtual memory -or stripe it if you have 2 partitions (half vmm on c: and half on d [img]/talk2/ubb-files/smile.gif[/img]<P>

Postby » Sun Jun 22, 2003 22:49

I got about 8 partitions actually. So do you recommend me to get a new 3d card? And if you do, which one should I get?<BR>P.S. Do I need more RAM if I got 256?

Postby » Sun Jun 22, 2003 22:54

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recercare:<BR><B>Remove all background applications (msconfig).<P>Set desktop appearance to "performance"<P>Use less virtual memory -or stripe it if you have 2 partitions (half vmm on c: and half on d [img]/talk2/ubb-files/smile.gif[/img]<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Sorry, didn't quite get, what do you mean by 'use less virtual memory'. Do you mean Page file?<BR>

Recercare

Postby Recercare » Mon Jun 23, 2003 0:47

Yes, i meant the pagefile. However, if you have 256MB Ram there's no point. You should consider upgrading to 512MB. <P>Having too many partitions is not a good idea, it decreases the overall performance. <P>If you want to run the newest games, then buy Radeon 9500pro or better. The nVidia geforce 4600ti and better will do as well.<P>Did you disable startup elements in msconfig ?

Postby » Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:51

No, I didn't, whhich ones do you mean? Also, about the RAM, If I upgrade my 3D card do I really need to upgrage RAM as well? Because I am not sure whether my RAM is upgradable...

Binary

Postby Binary » Tue Jun 24, 2003 15:16

Although upgrading is an option worth considering, I think the problem lies elswhere. My son also likes to play those games, so I also have C&C Generals running on a PC 2 years old, 1 GHz Athlon, 256 Mb memory and GForce 2MX 64 Mb videocard. And it runs without any problem. It will choose adequate setting in 1024x768 resolution.<BR>And I have also partitioned my harddisk, and I do not see why that should be a real problem. In theory it will slow down reading/writing, but that should not be noticable. In short: I think there might well be another problem.

Binary

Postby Binary » Tue Jun 24, 2003 15:21

Although upgrading is an option worth considering, I think the problem lies elswhere. My son also likes to play those games, so I also have C&C Generals running on a PC 2 years old, 1 GHz Athlon, 256 Mb memory and GForce 2MX 64 Mb videocard. And it runs without any problem. It will choose adequate setting in 1024x768 resolution.<BR>And I have also partitioned my harddisk, and I do not see why that should be a real problem. In theory it will slow down reading/writing, but that should not be noticable. In short: I think there might well be another problem.

Postby » Tue Jun 24, 2003 22:03

True Binary, But do you run it at Maximum settings? Because I want to have best graphics as well, you see...

Binary

Postby Binary » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:34

OK, I understand. But my point is that upgrading will not necessarily solve your problem. My PC may not run at maximum performance, but it runs well enough to enjoy playing it. But I'm not even going to try to install Enter the Matrix, because that will probably not run at all. And if you want to play games like that, then you might just as well buy a new PC. Upgrading (CPU, Memory, videocard) will only remove possible bottlenecks. But you will soon discover new ones that are not so easy to overcome. Newest videocards running at 8x AGP will not nearly perform as expected in older (4x AGP) mainboard, just to mention one....

Binary

Postby Binary » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:36

OK, I understand. But my point is that upgrading will not necessarily solve your problem. My PC may not run at maximum performance, but it runs well enough to enjoy playing it. But I'm not even going to try to install Enter the Matrix, because that will probably not run at all. And if you want to play games like that, then you might just as well buy a new PC. Upgrading (CPU, Memory, videocard) will only remove possible bottlenecks. But you will soon discover new ones that are not so easy to overcome. Newest videocards running at 8x AGP will not nearly perform as expected in older (4x AGP) mainboard, just to mention one....

Postby » Sat Jun 28, 2003 17:29

I see what you mean Binary. However I was concidering bying something AGP X$ as well, for example Radion 9000 or Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600... I don't have enough money to by state of art staff, it is that I just heard that MX version of GF 4 is not good for 3d games...<BR>P.S. what's up with double posts? No offence or anything...

TryIT

Postby TryIT » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:50

I guess you updated all drivers including those for the onboard chipset as far as possible? Fujitsu-Siemens cannot immediately validate drivers when they come out so you have to look at the sites of the manufacturers. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/frown.gif[/img] Quite often bugs are fixed for new games. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/smile.gif[/img]

Postby » Fri Jul 04, 2003 21:19

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TryIT:<BR><B>I guess you updated all drivers including those for the onboard chipset as far as possible? Fujitsu-Siemens cannot immediately validate drivers when they come out so you have to look at the sites of the manufacturers. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/frown.gif[/img] Quite often bugs are fixed for new games. [img]/talk2/ubb-files/smile.gif[/img]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually the problem is that I don't know All of the drivers that I need to update... Can you list them? (P.S. Don't mention Scaleo update pack, it only makes things worse)<BR>

Return to “Personal Computers (archive)”