Surround sound from SPDIF output?

FRAGEN ZU EINSTELLUNGEN

Moderator: ModTeam

lincsat

Surround sound from SPDIF output?

Postby lincsat » Thu Nov 23, 2006 18:19

I have tried both co-axial and optical connections but can only get 2 channel audio out of the digital connections. I have used the HD-Audio configuration utility and set the system for 6 speaker, but the test button only gives audio on the left and right front channel - it does give correct 6 channel audio on the analogue connections.

I am guessing there is a setting somewhere that I can not find - How can I fix this?

AmericanAirlines
Product(s): Scaleo E

Postby AmericanAirlines » Fri Nov 24, 2006 14:49

Hast Du das Problem bei Live-TV, DVD- oder bei Musikwiedergabe?
...irgendwas ist ja immer...

lincsat

Postby lincsat » Fri Nov 24, 2006 15:50

The problem was with everything, even windows sounds and the speaker test sound.

I spent 6 Hours on this Yesterday and have a partial solution. I have installed Media Player Classic and it's internal AC3 codec can be configured to send sound only to the SPDIF - this works.

I am guessing that the problem is with the Realtek HD Audio, I think it needs configuring to give priority to the SPDIF but I cant find any way of doing that.

AmericanAirlines

Postby AmericanAirlines » Mon Dec 04, 2006 18:14

I tried it at home, too.

My Scaleo E is connected with an optical cable to my Denon-Receiver.

There was sound in the rear speakers, but this was just because of the Pro-Logic-Decoding of my Surround-Receiver.

If I insert a DVD, my Receiver detects the Signal of DD5.1 or DTS but with any other application I don't get more than PCM...

lincsat

Postby lincsat » Mon Dec 04, 2006 19:03

I've found the K-Lite codec pack does include some configuration utilities and you can change some of the outputs to SPDIF only. If you can find the codec that WMP uses, then the Scaleo in MCE mode will output proper AC3 surround sound when available.

I still believe there is a problem with the Realtek HD audio driver or possibly the Motherboard bios, but the UK Fujitsu Siemens support aren't interested claiming it's a software rather than hardware problem

AmericanAirlines

Postby AmericanAirlines » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:29

I guess you know MS's Decoder Checkup-Utility? With this you can see which codecs are on your system and which is set preferred for the MCE.

I've installed a Trial-Version of WinDVD7 and even if the Trial is expired, MCE is still able to use the codec. And I think this codec should be good for proper AC3-output (including DD and DTS etc.).

As I allready said: it works while playing a DVD in MCE (which is most important for me), but not for any other MCE-application (i. e. Live-TV, and I would like to get digital sound, too). And certainly not in the Audio-Setup of the Realtek-Chipset in Windows-Mode.
Does Windows / MCE use different codecs?

lincsat

Postby lincsat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:55

I thought the MS utility was for video codec's only?

AmericanAirlines

Postby AmericanAirlines » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58

I don't think so.

I definitely had no digital sound in DVD's before I installed WinDVD7 and set it as preferred. Now it works - at least for DVD...

Guess it's one codec for both: audio and video (?)

Return to “Questions on settings”